Studio Projects VTB-1 not working

osion

hey,
I have a studio projects VTB-1 and have had it since March 2003- two years ago. Since I got it, it would occasionally not work. I am an amateur and am not familiar with the correct terminology, but i record with sonar 2 and when I would arm the track the power readings from the preamp would fluctuate wildly and if i try to record there are cracking sounds. This has happened occasionally since I got the equipment but now its happening every single time.
From the beginning, I contacted Studio Projects several times via email and was never responded to except for once when a representative asked me if i would like to send in the unit to be checked, I replied yes and requested an ATR, but i was promptly ignored again. So basically their customer service completely ignored me so I'm hoping someone here can help or offer some advice or a way to rectify the problem.
I hope I have clearly explained the problem I'm having with the VTB1. If I havent please let me know and I'll clarify. Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

I've no idea what the problem is but they have a toll-free phone number somewhere. You should dig that out (I think it's in Alan Hyatt's signature line) and give them a call.
EDIT - From their website - 1 (887) 563-6335

Do yourself a favour and ignore the copious amounts of shit that will inevitably follow in this thread though. :)

osion said:
hey,
I have a studio projects VTB-1 and have had it since March 2003- two years ago. Since I got it, it would occasionally not work. I am an amateur and am not familiar with the correct terminology, but i record with sonar 2 and when I would arm the track the power readings from the preamp would fluctuate wildly and if i try to record there are cracking sounds. This has happened occasionally since I got the equipment but now its happening every single time.
From the beginning, I contacted Studio Projects several times via email and was never responded to except for once when a representative asked me if i would like to send in the unit to be checked, I replied yes and requested an ATR, but i was promptly ignored again. So basically their customer service completely ignored me so I'm hoping someone here can help or offer some advice or a way to rectify the problem.
I hope I have clearly explained the problem I'm having with the VTB1. If I havent please let me know and I'll clarify. Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
You may want to repost this post on the "Rack" forum because this is the mic forum... that way more people will hear what you have too say and be warned. Oh, and PMI-AG marketing and their internet groupies are very active on hr.com so they may try to silence you... but don't let them. Anyway, thanks for the report. :)

It's ok, there's no need to re-post. The question has been answered. I have no stake in whether he's happy with his product or not ... what stake do you have in PMI, DJL? It seems you are the person most concerning himself with posting about their products.

thanks for the number noisedude. I just called them, and they were very helpful and told me to send it in which I'll do. I guess they just don't respond to emails for whatever reason. I have been pleased with the product when it works properly but I'm an amateur with little experience with other pre-amplifiers. I didn't know there was such a debate about PMI products on this forum and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. Thanks again noisedude and DJL.

osion said:
thanks for the number noisedude. I just called them, and they were very helpful and told me to send it in which I'll do. I guess they just don't respond to emails for whatever reason. I have been pleased with the product when it works properly but I'm an amateur with little experience with other pre-amplifiers. I didn't know there was such a debate about PMI products on this forum and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. Thanks again noisedude and DJL.

There isn't really much of a debate, except from DJL. It is unusual that they were unresponsive, they are pretty much regarded as having outstanding customer service. Let us know how it all turns out for you.

Osion... thanks again for your report.

osion said:
Osion, PMI Audio Group marketing is very active on hr.com and they like to put on a big show about how great there customer service is here on hr.com because we have a lot of readers and it's good for their business... and they try to discredit and silence those of us who don't worship their products. But you're not the first person to be completely ignored by PMI-AG's customer service and I'm sure you won't be the last. By the way, just so you know... noisedude is a moderator on the PMI-AG forums... anyway you're welcome and good luck with your VTB-1.

Last edited:
DJL said:
Osion, PMI-AG marketing is very active on hr.com and they like to put on a big show about how great there customer service is here on hr.com because we have a lot of readers and it's good for their business... and they try to discredit and silence those of us who don't worship there products. But you're not the first person to be completely ignored by PMI-AG's customer service and I'm sure you won't be the last. By the way, just so you know... noisedude is a montorator on the PMI-AG forums... anyway you're welcome and good luck with your VTB-1.

DJL: The word is not "montorator", it's monitorlizard. Please check your spelling in the future.

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335

p.s. SILENCE!!! :)

Osion - don't worry about it. Chessrock is a studio owner who's tried lots of gear and chosen not to use it. DJL is just Chessrock's groupie. Or was it wannabe? I forget the terminology they chose between them.

Either way - I just want you all to know that Brent Casey got called a cock-sucker by me on the phone the other day. That really could have done with some montoration.

noisedude said:
I just want you all to know that Brent Casey got called a cock-sucker by me on the phone the other day.

You two need to get a room. Phone sex is soooo last millenium. :p

scrubs said:
You two need to get a room. Phone sex is soooo last millenium. :p
You need to know that it was a three way conversation. Chinese whispers. I was told Brent said hi so I said "hi" back, but my American translator made a montoration into "he says you're a cocksucker". Two countries divided by a common language, indeed. :)

noisedude said:
I don't own a single PMI microphone or preamp ... I guess the montorator exam can't be that tough. :)

Hey man, since you're a moderator over at PMI and all ... do you suppose you could pull some of your strings and make me a monitorator over there?

I'd be great PR for those guys.

BTW -- I'm not really a "studio owner." Just a freelance engineer. With a place I suppose functions as a studio. And a few others I rent from time-to-time.

Yeah I think you help drum up their sales to be honest! :D

Studio owner / engineer ... all I meant was you were someone with credentials and that whether I agree with you or not, you back it up with a real website and work samples. So at least you're an actual critic, not a kid sat with a computer and a vendetta.

Did you sort out that copyright logo I tipped you off on yet? :)

noisedude said:
Did you sort out that copyright logo I tipped you off on yet? :)

When I get around to it ... I suppose. May as well just go for a full re-design. It seems like I'm never happy with it. The whole (c) thing is kinda' silly, anyway, isn't it?

Not like someone's going to come along and go: "Hey, there's no (c) there! It's not protected. I think I'll go rip off this guy's great web site ideas!" :D Although I supppose ya never know, right?

And so you throw the olive branch back in my face. :D

I like the 'If you're a whatever, click here' idea - but I wanted some normal menus to bypass that too. It took me too long to track down your gear list, which was deliberate because you wanted everyone to read your apologetic first ... but I would still choose a standard menu bar across the top of the page with all that arty crap underneath. :)

noisedude said:
I like the 'If you're a whatever, click here' idea - but I wanted some normal menus to bypass that too. It took me too long to track down your gear list, which was deliberate because you wanted everyone to read your apologetic first ... but I would still choose a standard menu bar across the top of the page with all that arty crap underneath. :)

Yea, it's kinda' tough, because I want to be able to tailor the site to the audience. So it would defeat the purpose to put a standard menu on the the home page ... as the menu will be different depending on whether they're a voiceover talent or a musician, etc.

But I suppose that only further complicates things, right?

The whole hidden gear list thing is a deliberate strategy, as you noticed. I don't particularly want to work with the kind of people who are worried about the gear list. I'd rather work with people who are worried about the audio samples. The studio isn't the product and the gear isn't the product. The product is my ability to get a good recording for them.

People don't seem to understand this, but gear can be rented. Studios can be rented. Spaces can be rented. If you want to track with Neumanns and John Hardys, I can rent Neumanns and John Hardys (which you will pick up the tab for). Yipee Skipee. If you don't have that kind of cash lying around, we can just track with my Audio Technicas and Syteks and still get a good recording for less money.

You want big, big, big drum sound? Let's go rent out 3-pear for the day. Hell, let's go all out and rent Electric Audio. :D I don't care. It's your money. My engineering wage is the same. Moon Unit Sound is me. I am Moon Unit Sound. The "studio" is merely a space that I happen to work out of a lot of the time. I am the studio for the most part.

I hear you and it's a good ethos. Flexibility will get you a long way!! :)

As long as you're making yourself a living from it, it doesn't matter. Don't fix what isn't broken ... I dunno what the best strategy is but when I find mine we can swap ideas. It'll be a long time till I can justify charging people for recording, but as I already make my money from music in other ways I guess it's no big deal.

If you ever decide to get rid of a KSM44 or AT4050 in a hurry to pay for renting Electric Audio ... I have a PayPal account with your name on it (???? :confused:)!! :p

Back