Studio Projects VTB-1 Mounted on Rack Shelf

Bowisc

I have two of these coming in on Wednesday (hopefully). I saw a Raxxess rack shelf that comes with pre-drilled holes for accomodating various types of gear.

Would I be able to screw the VTB-1's onto this rack using its very own chasis screws? Or maybe some contact cement?

Alan... you would know the answer in a blink, please help!

Anxiously awaiting that Toft Audio pre,
Bowisc

P. S. - I can't wait to try out the C3 I also ordered with the pre-amps. Look-out Mr. Hyatt, my wife is getting her Sniper-gear ready for you.

Sorry Bowsic...NO SCREWS

Go to Home Depot and get the 2" wide Velcro. Remove the rubber feet of the VTB1 and Velcro the units on the Raxxess shelf.

There is a new Wiring and Hook Up Guide if you want to check it out. It gives you tips on how to get the most out of the VTB-1. It is on our website. It is a PDF file. Go to:

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/spvtp1.html

From there click on the text that says Hook Up Guide

I will try the Velcro, no big-deal to me. Also, the connection guide is pretty helpful. Thanks.....

Bowisc

Here's how they look in a rack tray.... pretty nice fit w/ enough breathing room in between.

Night shot to follow....

Bowisc

Attachments

• daytime_vtb1.jpg
    daytime_vtb1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 131
Night-time shot....

I only used a 3" strip of Velcro towards the back of the unit... so it's easy to pull up and out from the rear.

Here's my experience with the VTB-1 so far... I'm working on getting the MP3's up soon.

DISCLAIMER: This is just my personal experience... I'm not trying to put this out there as some official "review".

Can't believe it what you get for under $200.
The Sound. The richness. The transparency. The flexibility. The Blue Glow. ;)

I fired the units up and let 'em sit for about 40 minutes. Gave me enough time to isolate my 22 year-old Congo African Grey.

TRACKING CHAIN:
Studio Projects C3 (cardioid, no switches) > Blue Kiwi cable > VTB-1 > Line-out (didn't have a high-quality "XLR(F) to 1/4") > MOTU 828 (48K) > Cubase VST 32 5.1 (@32-bit True-Tape).

PLAYBACK CHAIN:
MOTU 828 >>>> 1604 VLZ-Pro >>>> Mackie HR824's.

I recorded 3 tracks only engageng phantom-power and HPF, also Tube Blend (on tracks #2 and #3).
Input Gain was set at 3 o'clock (+40), Output Level at +3.

#1 - Tube-blend (full SS-mode) (7 o'clock)
#2 - Tube-blend (12 o'clock)
#3 - Tube-blend (3 o'clock)

TRACK #1
At full "SS": Transparent, clear. Had a "icy-smoothiness" to it. Much more "depth" than my VLZ-Pro's. Very clean, almost invisible, you yet you know its there.

NOTE: The C3 is AMAZING. They are not kidding to say it has that "German" flavor.

TRACK #2
- A bit more "bite" on the high-end comes in, without harshness, still smooth.
- Mids begin to gain a few pounds of thickness.
- Almost like "sonic puberty"... begins to show character here.

TRACK #3
- Lush rolls of fat mid-range is how I can describe it... HOWEVER, not the type that is commonly associated with mushy, muddy woomphiness. I can't imagine a nice Ken Smith (bass) going through this... potential here is huge.
- Nice smooth distortion, pleasant depending on your inclinations.
- The highs bite harder now...
- Nice tube "compression" makes it sound huge.

I gotta try an SM-57 through this unit. I bet it will make it sound like a totally different microphone.

I will try to convert these to MP3 :( and post tonight.

Alan, thank you. Splendid job on this.

Bowisc

Attachments

• night-time-vtb1.jpg
    night-time-vtb1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
"Go to Home Depot and get the 2" wide Velcro. Remove the rubber feet of the VTB1 and Velcro the units on the Raxxess shelf."

i am considering doing this but wouldnt it push the vtb1 up too high??

T

Back