Studio Projects T3 on guitar

thesedaze

I'd like to hear from those who have experience with the Studio Projects T3 on other applications outside of the vocal realm....Acoustic and electric guitar particularly. I'd appreciate any comparisons to other similarly ranged tube condensers (Rode K2, etc).

thanks

I have and use a T-3 all the time. It sounds very nice on voices, but sounds equally as good on certain types of acoustic guitars. I have often recorded smaller bodied acoustics with good results (yamaha D series acoustics) and used it on amps (because I was lazy) that I put in the vocal booth.

You can go here:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1955&alid=-1
and listen to the last song "I do" for both vocal and guitar or the song "Someday soon" if you want to hear a 12 year old that is pretty good.

I dont have anthing posted using it on amps, but it has a nice way of smoothing out agressive amps if you roll the EQ off the top a little.

tmix said:
You can go here:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1955&alid=-1
and listen to the last song "I do" for both vocal and guitar or the song "Someday soon" if you want to hear a 12 year old that is pretty good.
Hey,alright!..thanx for the reply.The "Someday soon" clip was pretty good.When I tried to play the other "I do",I kept getting "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play."***same thing happened while trying to listen to another guys clip,must be my machine*** Is anyone else using the T3 ?

Last edited:
I've got a pair of t3's here at the church, and we've recorded a Martin D-28, a Gibson model that I can't remember, and a Taylor 414 with fantastic results. I'll have to call up my guitar player and ask him what model his guitar is, but I do remember he put out around 2K for it when he bought it. For the money, we haven't found anything better. We use them primarily for vocals, but the recordings that they have been putting out on the acoustic have exceeded our expectations.

musicman123 said:
I've got a pair of t3's here at the church <snip> We use them primarily for vocals, but the recordings that they have been putting out on the acoustic have exceeded our expectations.
Yeah...I'm strongly considering picking up one myself.It seems like it could cover a lot of different ground. Guys...thanx again for the replies. If anyone has something else to add, please do.

Thanx Dot...So, if you (or anyone) could only have one LDC in this general price range (for now) would this be it ? sorry if this has wandered a bit OT :D **BTW will be doing mostly rock/metal with "some" acoustic/clean electric guitar, pre amps will be the ones on my Aardvark Q10**

Last edited:
hmm...maybe I should take my last question to a new thread.Well...thanx to all who responded and if no one has anything else to add to the original poster's question or to my last,I believe I'll let this drift back to the dead thread sea where I found it. :)

When I first got my T3, I a/b'd it with the AKG 451B on a steel-string acoustic and the latter was more defined and crisp. However, today I a/b'd them with a nylon string guitar, and the T3 duplicated the warmth of the strings much better than the AKG. Since the T3 is always up and plugged in, I normally use it as a second mike, from where it stands, when I record anything -- if I'm not using it as the primary mike.

Back