Studio Projects Mics - Any Info?

dizzlano

Just wanted to see if anyone has used any Studio Projects Mics on any of their sessions?

Particualrly the C1 and the T3 (tube). Imm looking to get a pair for room mics, and other stereo recordings. Just wanted to see if any conclusive results and opinions have been made about these mics, goods, and bads.

Thanks-dano

I suggest you use the search function here.............keywords could be "Studio Projects", "C1", T3, etc. etc. Should keep you occupied for some time.

:cool:

I have and love my C1, however I use it as a closeup vocal and amp mic most of the time, not in stereo, although I have used it as a room mic for horns, blended in with a dynamic mic close up (sm57 on trumpet and Peavey 520i on tenor sax) and it worked really well for me in that context.

That said, my impression of the "stereo room mic" thing is that most people want room mics that fall into one of the 2 following groups:

1) Really nice accurate flat-frequency response mics - eg B&K/DPA/Schoeps/earthworks/Neumann km184 etc. in the expensive category, cheapies might include Behringer ecm8000, MXL603, Oktava MC012 (not that these have flat responses, but they're not hugely flattering, they just give a nice picture of the sound

The C1/T3 are not your cup of tea (IMHO) if this is your wish

2) Mics with a bit more character (and you can compress to hell and mix to taste for weirdness!) - Royer ribbons, Neumann U87's/TLM103's/whatever else, BLUE mics, Coles, etc in the expensive category, cheaper versions might include various mics by Rode, Studio Projects, Marshall electronics, Oktava 219/319 etc - the better quality cheap chinese LD condensors.

C1 and T3 may well work for you if this is what you're after. And you'd also have fine vocal/cab/misc source LD condensors at your disposal for other things if you had them :)

Steve

The problem with searching for these mics is that ALL of the easy ways to refer to them are less than 3 letters long.. SP, c1, t3, etc.

There is TONS if discussion about these mics, though. I have 2 C1's, never used a T3.

Your mileage is going to vary depending on application and location if you want to use C1's as room and stereo mics. I have tunes where the guitar sounded great x/y'd with the C1's and other tunes where it sounded like crap. Its a pretty bassy mic when up close to the guitar, so I usually have to roll off the bottom.

I was stunned when I threw the C1's up as a room mics for a bluegrass jam. They were PERFECT for the task- I didn't even need the mic I had on the standup bass. Sounded beautiful.

Its my first try mic for most vocals and voiceovers. Not a magic bullet, by any means, but I'm glad I have them and glad I have 2.

Take care,
Chris

I have a T3. I like it alot, especially the variable pick-up pattern. Most common use of it for me is on female vocals. (Think Sarah Mclaughlin, not Janis Joplin.) ;)

Ooooo, darn good tip, alfalfa!

Would have made life a lot easy for me all these years searching the boards. :)

Chris

I just got a C1 last week and used it on my daughter's vocal a few days ago. We noticed a clearer, crisper, less boomy, more transparent quality over the Rode NT1 we have used for a few years. I still think the Rode NT1 is a great mic for the price, but we are quite enamored with the C1.

Now I am waiting for the arrival of a Presonus MP20 to replace our ART Tube MP Studio.

fredlanger said:
I just got a C1 last week and used it on my daughter's vocal a few days ago. We noticed a clearer, crisper, less boomy, more transparent quality over the Rode NT1 we have used for a few years. I still think the Rode NT1 is a great mic for the price, but we are quite enamored with the C1.

Now I am waiting for the arrival of a Presonus MP20 to replace our ART Tube MP Studio.

Fred,

Try the RNP as well on the preamp. It's got a nice retro RCA color to it that'd go good with your daughter's voice (which is nice by the way).

Good luck,

Steve, Mojo Pie

Chris Shaeffer said:
The problem with searching for these mics is that ALL of the easy ways to refer to them are less than 3 letters long.. SP, c1, t3, etc.
Try C1* and T3*

ozraves said:
Fred,

Try the RNP as well on the preamp. It's got a nice retro RCA color to it that'd go good with your daughter's voice (which is nice by the way).

Good luck,

Steve

Steve,

Yeah, I've read a lot of rave reviews on the RNP and RNC and what a great guy Mark McQuilken is. I had the RNP on my short list of choices. After reading very favorable reviews of the Presonus MP20, I had the opportunity to pick up a lightly used unit for a really good price - so it becomes my preamp...for now :) Who knows when a Grace, John Hardy, Great River, or Manley will become an affordable upgrade.

By the way, the Presonus is balanced out and my soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 2496) is unbalanced in. Sooo - I have an ART D I/O on the way to let me go into the soundcard's S/PDIF inputs. Not a high-end unit, but there are several mods for the unit (and a place that will do them for you: http://www.boldercables.com/Store.a...pany&n=9&k=3468&s=ART+DI/O+MODS+&+Accessories). That, of course, is a future project.

And thanks for listening to Kara's music. All vocals were Rode NT1 through an ART Tube MP Studio. Earlier songs were recorded on a Korg D16, but the latest are recorded on our current system - a Carillon PC running Cubase SX. As soon as we finish trracking and mixing the latest song (with the C1 on vocal) we will get that up on her site.

I use SP mics a lot, but unfortunately, not the models you're interested in. In my experience, all of the ones i've heard have performed excellently in their price range. I own B-1, which is a lovely, neutral, studio workhorse, which I use as an auxiliary mic.
I have C-3, which is a versatile multipolar LD FET condenser. It is very good for clean vocals, and as a room mic. The C-4's are simply some very cool SD condensers that are good on guitars and as overheads.
I've has some dealings with SP customer service, and they have been helpful, knowledgable, and agressive about customer satisfaction. I got manuals for my Oktavas entirely in Russian!! What do you think they're going to do for me when my mic breaks, comrade? My read on SP is that they are making a serious bid to put high quality mics in people's hands at prices that undercut their biggest competition, and to hire the brightest minds of said competition. What's not to like? Go Alan!- Richie

fredlanger said:

Hi Fredlanger,

Have you compared the C1 to the new NT1-A as well or just the old NT1? Or, how about the NT1000? Some people appear to like the C1 over the NT1 for certain purposes but has anyone directly compared the C1 to the NT1-A or NT1000? The NT1-A is much less expensive than the C1 here in Australia and the NT1000 is about the same or a little less in price than the C1 as well.

I have. I liked the C1 better. Both the rodes NT1 and A versions have that harsh high end that I dislike a lot. The C1's more smoother, with a tighter bottom end too.
A friend of mine had the NT1A and I had the C1. That's how I got to compare them both. We used to record a lot together, just for the fun of it. Later he decided to sell the NT1A and get the C1 instead.

IMO, the Studio Projects C1 is a bright sounding mic and it doesn't have a very smooth upper end which can be a little harsh sometimes... I think the Marshall MXLV67G is smoother than both the Rode NT1 and SP C1.

DJL said:
IMO, the Studio Projects C1 is a bright sounding mic and it doesn't have a very smooth upper end which can be a little harsh sometimes... I think the Marshall MXLV67G is smoother than both the Rode NT1 and SP C1.

DJL or MrGrooves, Have you tried the C1, MXLV67G and NT1000 on the same sound sources at all? Or has anyone else...what were your results?

Glawfindle said:
DJL or MrGrooves, Have you tried the C1, MXLV67G and NT1000 on the same sound sources at all? Or has anyone else...what were your results?

I have with the C1 and MXLV67G... and IMO, the C1 is brighter sounding than the V67G and not as smooth. I don't own a NT1000, sorry.

Some of the opinions will vary on the C1, and I tend to think it is because everyone has different set ups. Each person offering their opinion has different gear, skills, ears, and talent.

One mic on one mic pre will sound very different on another based on the impedance load. Monitors, room conditions, applications, talent, and engineering skills figurers in as well. Placement and proximity are key issues in the equasion.

C1's have been used with great success for room mics, however, I prefer the C1's for Vocals, Piano, overheads, and guitar cabs. The B Series is better at room mics.

So take opinions for what they are worth. You have to always consider what is behind the opinion before you bet the farm on it.

I agree with Alan except comparing the V67G and C1 is easy.... the Studio Projects C1 is brighter sounding than the Marshall MXLV67G and it's not as smooth. A/B them yourself... you don't have to be a frickin rocket scientist to hear the difference.

Last edited:
Back