Studio Projects C4

destiny rec

i'm looking into purchasing a matched pair of these. ive heard them recommended by a number of people and have even heard one person prefer them to akg 451s. i'm wondering if i could gather some more opinions if anyone else has used them. i'm going to be using them for drum overheads and acoustic guitar. any help is appreciated!

I really like mine. I haven't had a chance to use them on OH on a REALLY nice kit yet, but on all the kits and acoustics I have tried them on, they've pleased me every time. They take a little more effort to place than mics with wider polar patterns (such as the SP B1 and the MXL 603) but this is no different to most SDCs. Having used mine, a drummer friend who is getting into session work got a pair (which he finally got his hands on last night), so I can let you know how he finds them.

Be aware that they are not technically matched pairs - they are consecutively-numbered mics, made one after the other on the line. I haven't heard a difference between mine, and I haven't read about anyone else having noticed anything either, but you should just know that they are not strictly matched.

Hope that helps,

Nik

I have had a pair for quite a while, and they have served me rather well, both as overheads, and as an acoustic guitar mic. Mostly I now use a pair of KM184's, but I keep the C-4's around as a pair of omnis, and for remote stereo recording. They are also surpriseingly good live guitar mics, with excellent feedback rejection.-Richie

thanks for the replies! i think those are enough for me to try em out. they're going for $299 on ebay - a steal! thanks for the help, i'll let you know what i think of them after i get them.

they are alright. if i had the chance to buy over again, i would save up for more expensive stuff(i've said this about many purchases).

if you're recording a nice kit, with nice cyms, you can get some gorgeous sounds out of them... check out

www.ryanlendt.com/barak/Info

I used C4s for the OH's on all of those songs... I did kinda a funny thing with 'how to close a day.' it's a single OH in cardiod (I was an idiot and didn't realize I had that cap on till the next session). Anyways, 414 on the snare and I forget which dynamics on the toms... also, the kick sucked. don't even bother listening to the kick on that song. Basically that song has had a LOT of things happen to it. cool song though, in my opinion.

the other 2 songs on there are decent examples of their sound as OH's, though. Spaced pair on both of them, and I measured out the distance from the snare for phase, I think they sound good.

wes

Buy the Studio Projects C4's from AMS and you should get 2 years warranty, same price as ebay.

Mark

Are these mics more "smooth" sounding? I used a pair of SM81s for a recording I did and loved the fact that my ears weren't shredded to bits like they are with the MXL 991s on OHs.

in my opinion, they can be bright... which is a WONDERFUL thing sometimes, assuming the drummer isn't beating the hell out of the brass, and they're in the right place, and the room doesn't suck, etc (ad infinitum)...

Only after strict attention is paid to some fundamental principals can you begin to get decent results. 3:1 ratio, phase adherance, careful treatment of the room to avoid the shitty shitty haas effect and other phase crap... and don't mix oh's too loud.

RMP said:
Buy the Studio Projects C4's from AMS and you should get 2 years warranty, same price as ebay.

Mark
PMI pretty much offer unlimited warranties on their products anyway, seemingly regardless of reselling and registration. Just don't expect them to help you if you spannered your drummer round the head with one of them! :)

Back