studio projects C3

grimy paco

I have just purchased the C3 and was just wondering when recording single vocals what setting works best.
I am first going to try the omni directional switch first then single out on the cardoid setting and so on.
Any pointers

look at the first thread on the top of the mic room - it is commonly known as the "big thread" by Harvey Gerst (although his name won't appear as the thread starter). It will answer all you could ever want to know about microphone patterns and how to utilize them.

Warning: You will need a long time to read it all.

Watch-out for sibilance when close-miking vocals! Very nice neutral vocal mic with some distance! Amazing kick/room mic on a drumset when 7-8 feet in front of the set, at ear-level, and pointing down at the kick, when in omni! Very nice acoustic guitar mic in omni, with distance in a good room! Very nice radio punk-rock dirty electric guitar cabinet mic!

Thanks guys for your input it is greatly apreciated. I will be trying the mic tonight and will post some results at the end of the week.:cool: :)

grimy paco said:
littledog can you point me to a link on this i did search but could not find.

You don't need to search - it's the second from the top thread in the microphone forum - it always stays up near the top because it is a "sticky". The thread starter is named "Chris F" , and the title is something like "How does diaphragm size/polar patterns affect... (etc.) "

Paco, the short answer is- put it in cardioid (heart shaped symbol), put a pop filter in front of it, don't use the pad or the bass cut, and back away from it a little, say 8-18" and listen for the sweet spot. Or, actually, you can get 2" from it and yell at it. good for a different type of song.-Richie

Thanks Richard I tried it.I'm having no problem getting good vocals now.My next project is to find the best placement for acoustic guitar.Anyone have any ideas.I just noticed that there are 3 settings on the mic.I know that the 10 dB is the pad but what are the other 2. one is off i think the middle setting and i guess the far left would be the bass cut.There is no manual with this mic so it seems a little confusing.

But I can tell everybody something the mic sounds great if you ever want to spend some good money on a fantastic mic this is it

grimy paco said:
My next project is to find the best placement for acoustic guitar.

Switch on the bass cut, switch it to cardiod pattern, and point the mic at the 12th fret, about 2 feet back. From there, move it around untill you find what sounds best to you.

Yes, the other way is a high-pass filter. It starts cutting at 200Hz. It can be a bit too excessive of a cut on acoustic gutar at times, especially in omni.

In a decent room, I've found I prefer omni over cardioid most of the time with the C3 on acoustic guitar. But try all sorts of things...

Sounds interesting I'll try it this week.Does it work better with or without a pre amp.I have a presonus tube pre that sounds a little to active at times.My room is a little busy and tends to pick up a little too much interfearence.But I am beginning to get better results little by little but right now I prefer no pre amp. the pre amp in my spirit by souncraft fx16 seems to act fine.what do you guys think???? and thanks again

If your room is noisy, try close mic'ing the guitar. Try it in both cardioid and omni. Start at the 12th fret and move up and down the neck. As you move toward the sound hole, the bass outbut will increase big time, as you move away from it, yhe sound will get thin. Find the right spot in between, which is usually the 11th to 14th fret. When I say close, I mean 4" from the guitar. As funds become available, upgrade the preamp. Yeah, the Blue Tube really may not be better than the pre's in your Soundcraft, which just shows you need a preamp. Consider FMR Audio RNP or better, (in my opinion) Grace Design 101. Whether you use bass cut or not depends on the song and mic placement. As the mic moves away from the sound hole, you'll need bass cut less and less. Frankly, I prefer not to use bass cut when possible, but sometimes you have to. If little speakers are overloaded by the low notes, you know you need bass cut, or you need to move the mic to a lower fret. Enjoy your mic. I don't use the C-3 for guitar myself, but it wouldn't be the last mic on my list, either.-Richie

this might be a stupid question but....

is it safe to switch between the polar patterns when the mic is already plugged into the mixer and being powered?

i imagine yes but just to be sure...

yes it is safe but not wise just turn down the fader on the mixing board then change polarity.
Just purchased the RODE NTK this mic kicks the C3 way better on vocals what can you say it's a tube.
If anyone out there is wondering on what mic to buy the RODE NTK would be my choice.Just a little more in the wallet but 10 times better on the ears
:D :cool:

Back