studio projects C1 or SM 58

They are both very diffrent mics!

Its like compareing apples to rocks.

SM-58 is a dynamic and the standard for live sound.

The C1 is a large condenser and its a studio mic. Its supose to sound like a u87 which is a standard in the studio(an expensive one at that).

Is it suited to male-tenor voices?
I dunno, I'll find out in a week or so when my C1 comes in. But I don't really think the 58 sounds all that great for recording. Its great for live where you have to deal with feedback and need something that can handle abuse. The SM-58 is one of the few mics that can survive just about anything.

The SM-57 is a standard for both live and in the studio. Its the dynamic mic for everything. I've even used it to record vocals on my first CD. Its alot like the SM-58 but with a diffrent windscreen which changes the sound a little.

What exactly is the difference in sound between these two mics? Are they suited for male-tenor voices? oh ya, and what about the Shure Beta 87?

Is this for a live or studio application? The SM58, has always been a great "live" mic. It's been around for quite a few years. The C1 , in my opinion, is a great studio vocal mic. I have one and have recorded female vox, and for $200, you're not going to find anything remotely close for under $1500, (again, that's my opinion) I have many expensive mics, and I suggest try it out, especially if you're on a tight bufget...

Imagine

ratboy, I own and use most of the mikes you brought up.
Here is an overview of each from a "end user" perspective,
not an expert!

Studio Projects C1- Incredible "bang for the buck" large diaphram condenser. I need none/hardly any EQ on my voice with it for good results. (not suited for live performance-too sensitive)

Shure Beta 87- Punchy small diaphram condenser mike,
comes in two different models, supercardiod and cardiod pattern. (I have the supercardiod) Not as much detail as the C1, however, it can be used with good results for home recording as well as
live.

Shure sm57- A true classic (like it's fraternal twin the sm58).
On a lot of voices (like mine), it makes them seem more "rock"
in tone. Can't imagine not having one!

All three can work well with the tenor (or any range) voice.
If you can give them a try before you buy that's the best way.

P.S. the quality of your mic pre makes a big difference too!

How about the Soundelux U195, AT 4060, Neumann TLM 103, or AKG Solidtube. They would be "remotely" close.

I've never had the opportunity to try the U195, but I own a AT4060, sold my Neumann TLM-103 and couldn't care about the Solidtube, heard it, don't like it. The C1, in my opinion, is a remarkeable breakthrough in sound quality for no money, well $200!

My guess would be, try any of the mics suggested by Wide Awake. You be the judge. Tell you one thing though, If I had to choose between the C1 and 4060, sorry 4060!!!

Imagine "that"

Imagine,

When are you going to post a sample of the c1. I am dying to hear it.

Hey chessparov,

Can you post me a sample as well. THanks

CJ,

I'm leaving for NY in the morning. When I get back next week, I'll post something.

Happy Thanksgiving Day everyone

Imagine

macmidimusic.com has it for $229 and thats the lowest they can adverstise. I have heard people getting it lower though. Call around someone might be able to give you a deal on it.

The C1 isn't suited for live sound be cause its not quite road ready and its freq response with be a nightmare for montiors. Nothing but feedback.

It isn't too sensitive for live it can handle up 130dB I think. It just has peaks at 500, 2k and a large boost from 15-20k that cause poor gain before feedback.

I've used u87's live a few weeks ago. I work for a local sound and production company. The CBC had a recording truck at the venue where I was working. They wanted to use their mics and mics they did have. On the gtr amps they had u87's, C414 as overheads and on toms, Beta 57 on snare, D112 on kick, beta 58 vocals(we use these alot too). They had an RE-20 on the floor tom but changed to a 414 durning the soundcheck. The also used beta 57's for micing gutiars, congos and just about everything else.

I can't wait till my C1 comes in, they didn't have it in stock when I ordered it :( they said they would call when it comes in.

Re: posting samples of C1

Cyan, I'm not technically ready to post MP3's (yet).
The ol' Mac in my home is very slow and the MP3 program I
just bought will be played around with first!
(I know-excuses, excuses!)

If and when that gets sorted out I plan to post some Mp3's
with the C1.

Back