Studio Projects C1 + Apex 460

wildflower soul

someone wants to trade me one of these mics... i dont know much about them

the Apex has a AKG C12 mod apparently... can anyone tell me anything about these? performance wise and so on

Thanks!

Go down to Long & McQuade (I'm assuming you're Canadian?) and AB them. They'll set you up with some cheap pres and some decent headphones. Get them to bring out a Neumann too and you'll quickly see what your dealing with, and whether or not you'll be satisfied with either one.

They've also got a great return policy (sorry for the spam, but I like the store).

Don't get your hopes of modding a 460 to sound like a C12. It ain't possible :D

I must disagree. If you replace the capsule with a Peluso Cek-12 from us for $229 fitted and replace the output transformer with a Cinemag CM-2480 for $91 for us fitted and have us perform a tube and capacitor upgrade you will have a microphone that will go head to head with a C12. I have a client that put his Advanced Audio CM-12 up against a vintage C12 and could not hear a $8000 difference. He told me that the C12 might have sounded a little bit richer but the differences were very very subtle and probably not much different than what is heard from any two C12 microphones. The Cinemag output transformer definitely out performs the original AKG transformer. This is no longer a stock microphone but it is a very economical and affordable way for project studios to get an exeptional sounding microphone without paying for hype.

Best regards, Dave Thomas (Advanced Audio Microphones) drthomas@telus.net
krs said:
Go down to Long & McQuade (I'm assuming you're Canadian?) and AB them. They'll set you up with some cheap pres and some decent headphones. Get them to bring out a Neumann too and you'll quickly see what your dealing with, and whether or not you'll be satisfied with either one.

They've also got a great return policy (sorry for the spam, but I like the store).

Don't get your hopes of modding a 460 to sound like a C12. It ain't possible :D

Back