Studio Projects B1 on streets

Alan and I have talked about the B series, but other than the pictures on his site (and now these specs), I don't know anything more about it than you do. The frequency response spec is pretty meaningless without a +/- range or a graph, but the self noise figure is quite respectable.

Thanks, Harvey.

I am kinda flattered that someone like you answered to one of my threads! ;)

Let's hope Alan takes note and sends you a testing unit.

A word of caution

I talked to Music Center over the phone back in December cuz they had the VTP-1 ( now VTB-1) preamp listed on their site for sale, even though it has yet to hit the street. They were happy to "place on order" for me and tried to charge my credit card the full amount for an item that didn't even have a list price at the time.

Well, I balked at the idea of that but the guy said he would put the order in for me anyway and call me when they came in.

Now, its almost 4 months later and I haven't heard from him since, no follow up call to say, "hey these haven't gone to market yet, do you still want it, or would you like get this instead, etc...".

I'd call that not very good customer service, but I would be a lot more angry if I had been charged for something that still doesn't (technically) exist as far as I am concerned.

So make sure they actually have them mics in stock before you pay for it.....

nP

Good point there, nezpierce.

Maybe if Alan Hyatt is hanging around he could clear up things a bit.

Hey, this is my 50th post! Can I be a Junior Member now?

Hey guys,

Well the update is this. The B Series has been shipped to us, so pretty soon they will be here and in the stores. It will be interesting to see all the comparisons on the B1 & B3 to the competitiors, but it will be a very interesting next couple of months.

As for the VTB-1...that word is like a nightmare to me :D

In either case, some of the backordered parts have been delivered, so while I do not want to quote a delivery date and jinx it, it is very close. At this stage of the game, I prefer to wait until they are in the door and shipping, but it to is not that far off.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Hmmm.....getting a B-3 to record my B-3....hmmm

I like the ring of that ;)

Hey...it does have figure-8, so I could use it on the horn rotor about a foot away as the 'S' mic and something else on the bottom rotor as the 'M' mic in a M-S setup. I've heard of that being done, and I've wanted to try it. Just have to make a splitter-box for the side mic...send normal polarity to one channel and inverted to the other....off to the drawing board methinks...

This could be fun :)

Hafta look into that when the B series starts hitting the shelves.

TP

B3Nut said:
Hmmm.....getting a B-3 to record my B-3....hmmm

Hey...it does have figure-8, so I could use it on the horn rotor about a foot away as the 'S' mic and something else on the bottom rotor as the 'M' mic in a M-S setup. TP

Ok guys, I have a B3 too, so you know why I named it that...I love my B3 :D

They do not come with Leslies, but I suppose I culd offer it as an option...Doh!

As for the B3, it has cardioid, omni, and figure eight. You can use a B3 and a B1 in an M/S configuration, or an X/Y because of the pattern control of the B3. I tried it on my 147R and it rocked. I used an M/S config with a decoder, but I added a twist to it. I placed a third mic on the bottom woofer, and use the M/S for the horn, one mic on each corner behind the leslie...Wow, image out the butt and the depth was amazing. So good call Nut!

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Back