Studio Monitors

You are all funny friends!

IMO; don't waste your time/money with KRK 5's. Been there and done that myself.

I was going to say...$1200-1500 is now Genelec/Dynaudio areas. Would be happy to have either...the KH120s we were talking about earlier are under $1500. You could almost afford Gibson Les Paul monitors for that. (anyone heard ANYTHING about those. I've been curious)

I noticed, today, that a online retailer is taking pre-orders on the 4-inch KH-80 @499 each

You are all funny friends!

IMO; don't waste your time/money with KRK 5's. Been there and done that myself.

Still have a pair of KRK 5's on my desk. Turn them on occasionally for enhanced mids. About all they're good for. Would never actually mix through them, bu they do bring out mids for things like ... watching Netflix.

Checked their WEB site and just called them. They are not on sale by me.

---------- Update ----------

Sorry, The Rokit 5s. Didn't ask about M Audio.

Well, good, as most people here would tell you to not buy them. The sale was last weekend (President's Day sale).

I'm a mids freak. Man a nice mid makes me just sit back and listen. JBL had a white paper showing a four-inch best for vocals, but five-inch works for me - alone, or, in a multi-driver system.

Well, I am very happy with my Tannoy 5As. Don't go very low or very loud but work for me and musical son.

I bought them on the strength of a blind magazine shootout and because the company have been making monitors for longer than most of us have been alive! They probably run $500pr in the States but two shops I googled no longer stock them.

Dave.

Ya, I'm using some way old Tannoy 603 with stuffed rear port.
""The true measure of the 603 "has to be found in its sonic accuracy, smoothness, coherence [and] dynamic capabilities".

I'm fond of saying it will do bass fine, but not two bass

Ya, I'm using some way old Tannoy 603 with stuffed rear port.
""The true measure of the 603 "has to be found in its sonic accuracy, smoothness, coherence [and] dynamic capabilities".

I'm fond of saying it will do bass fine, but not two bass

'two bass'?

'two bass'?

Suggesting its a fringin' 5.25" driver - waddya want. It can get confused in the bass, but hats off to Tannoy for making it musical rather than trying to be a bass monster. Nice setup. Terminals for bi-aming

For mixing I prefer lean bass, anyway. In my room I made some dinky EQ corrections, but the only real problem was 160 Hz room thing and I was fine with a 3dB cut on the Graphic

Suggesting its a fringin' 5.25" driver - waddya want. It can get confused in the bass, but hats off to Tannoy for making it musical rather than trying to be a bass monster. Nice setup. Terminals for bi-aming

For mixing I prefer lean bass, anyway. In my room I made some dinky EQ corrections, but the only real problem was 160 Hz room thing and I was fine with a 3dB cut on the Graphic

I dunno how many dozens of speakers people have gone through, but small woofers can be quicker andddd...... that's about it.

"Music with bags of bass won't upset the 603; it merely acts like a filter a la the Wilson WATT rather than attempt to deliver what it cannot. But heavily overlayed multi-part performances can cause mild confusion, especially if your stands are lightweight or less that rigid".

I was thinking about upgrading from my Mackie HR824 monitors for awhile now...considered the Adam A7X and A8X, a couple of models from Dynaudio and a some others and finally pulled the triggers on some Focal monitors today.
At first I was going to just go with the Solo6 Be....but then after a lot of reading and checking, decided I might as well just take the plunge with something more serious and I went for the Focal Twin6 Be monitors. Should have them in a few days.

Everyone...and I mean everyone...that had any of the other brands I looked at above...and that switched to the Twin6 monitors...said there was no comparison...the Focals beat them all clearly. Of course, there some much higher-end monitors out there, but that takes you into the $5k -$7k range, which is too rich for my blood.
Many said the Twin6 were on par with some of those that cost twice as much...and there wasn't a single person who got the Twin6 monitors that had anything bad to say about them. Some folks who do lots of Hip Hop/EDM, and want a ton of sub-lows might feel the need for adding a sub....but everyone else said they didn't see any point, plus adding a sub isn't always a straight up deal...you have to really find the sweet spot, and it doesn't work in every room. Anyway...I don't need a sub.

I'll post back after they arrive...though the word is...they need around 20-40 hours of break-in time with dynamic range music before they settle in and give you their true sound...so it might be a couple of weeks before I post back. :)

"they need around 20-40 hours of break-in time with dynamic range music before they settle in " Don't want to start a cow but if I were paying close to $4000 for a pair of monitors I would expect them to be bang on specc' straight out of the box!

Dave.

Good on ya' Miro!

---------- Update ----------

I dunno how many dozens of speakers people have gone through, but small woofers can be quicker andddd...... that's about it.

Lots of bass players out there using 10s instead of 18s...

I was thinking about upgrading from my Mackie HR824 monitors for awhile now...considered the Adam A7X and A8X, a couple of models from Dynaudio and a some others and finally pulled the triggers on some Focal monitors today.
At first I was going to just go with the Solo6 Be....but then after a lot of reading and checking, decided I might as well just take the plunge with something more serious and I went for the Focal Twin6 Be monitors. Should have them in a few days.

Everyone...and I mean everyone...that had any of the other brands I looked at above...and that switched to the Twin6 monitors...said there was no comparison...the Focals beat them all clearly. Of course, there some much higher-end monitors out there, but that takes you into the $5k -$7k range, which is too rich for my blood.
Many said the Twin6 were on par with some of those that cost twice as much...and there wasn't a single person who got the Twin6 monitors that had anything bad to say about them. Some folks who do lots of Hip Hop/EDM, and want a ton of sub-lows might feel the need for adding a sub....but everyone else said they didn't see any point, plus adding a sub isn't always a straight up deal...you have to really find the sweet spot, and it doesn't work in every room. Anyway...I don't need a sub.

I'll post back after they arrive...though the word is...they need around 20-40 hours of break-in time with dynamic range music before they settle in and give you their true sound...so it might be a couple of weeks before I post back. :)

Nice!

I was thinking about the Focals myself. But money was burning a hole in my pocket and they had them at GC.

Speaking of 'burning', yeah the A7x also have a break in period of about 25 hours or so. That's fine. The KRK G28's take 20 years to break in before they sound good evidently... lol

I did notice the mids becoming a bit less harsh after 20 or so hours. I at first turned the tweeters down a bit but have them leveled out now.

Congrats! Maybe just stream music through them while you are away? I tortured my wife and kids the first day with Jellyfish blaring for 10 hours while I was at work. :)

"Music with bags of bass won't upset the 603; it merely acts like a filter a la the Wilson WATT rather than attempt to deliver what it cannot. But heavily overlayed multi-part performances can cause mild confusion, especially if your stands are lightweight or less that rigid".

Yep, I used a 4-10 in combination with a 15 when I was gigging bass guitar. Much faster response and clarity. It is obvious to me now that that also applies to monitor speakers. Never liked anyone's bass tone that used a 18" woof...

I haven't a clue what you said in the second part of your post. :)

My first monitors were a pair of passive speakers (a Philips kit, I think) driven by a Sansui amp.

I got a pair of Truths, and it was like the fog lifting.

My current monitors are a pair of Neumann KH 310, and that was like another layer of fog lifting.

My first monitors were a pair of passive speakers (a Philips kit, I think) driven by a Sansui amp.

I got a pair of Truths, and it was like the fog lifting.

My current monitors are a pair of Neumann KH 310, and that was like another layer of fog lifting.

I completely now understand what you mean by 'the fog lifting'. Truth that anyone can mix on any pair of speakers, but man there is a much better ability when you throw the money for good ones...

I now have more GAS and need a new sub and a Neumann U87... And a smoker grill... lol

New tires for the work van can wait. I'll just take time off when it snows and play with my toys... :)

"they need around 20-40 hours of break-in time with dynamic range music before they settle in " Don't want to start a cow but if I were paying close to $4000 for a pair of monitors I would expect them to be bang on specc' straight out of the box!

Dave.

You funny man. :D

Even the most basic guitar amp speaker takes some playing for it to break in.
Most higher-end monitors require a break-in period...it doesn't mean they are inferior because of that.
It's not so much about any spec changes...more about the slight softening of the highs and the bass opens up a bit.
I don't have any problem with them needing a break-in period...which I would do anyway before really mixing on them, because they are not played during manufacturing...so everything is tight.

Nice!

I was thinking about the Focals myself. But money was burning a hole in my pocket and they had them at GC.

I had the Adam A7x in my sights for a long time...but I always thought about the Focals, and was looking initially at the Solo6...but between them and the A7X, the price was a nice chunk, and I didn't think the Solo6 was going to be that much better.

Then I just started thinking about it..and the more I thought about it, it became clear that if I was going to go for Focals...the Twin6 monitors were the real deal...but also quite a jump in $$$.
What really triggered my purchase...Sweetwater was offering 36 months 0% interest financing this month on select items. That made it too good to resist going for the Twin6. :)
I mean...I can take my time or pay them off in chunks...and no interest charges. :cool:

Back