Studio monitors

LOL...my main monitors were made and purchased before many/most HR members were born! They may not be perfect (though to my ear they're darn good) but they're like a comfortable pair of slippers. I know them very, very well (and paid gawd knows how much to ship them from the UK to Aus!).

LOL...my main monitors were made and purchased before many/most HR members were born! They may not be perfect (though to my ear they're darn good) but they're like a comfortable pair of slippers. I know them very, very well (and paid gawd knows how much to ship them from the UK to Aus!).

A few years ago at Entec I had a listen to Sonodyne monitors they sounded very nice, if I was in the market for some monitors I would have bought a pair. Anyone here heard of them? Grover Notting? Don't forget Event. If you want to get serious how about Dynaudio, Genelec, Mackie, JBL, how many do you want? They all appeal to someone so we are all different.

Alan.

Haha! That ^ tends to give the lie to the idea that speakers "run in" since logically Bobbs, those (name?) should by now be "run out"!

Accuracy USED to be judged by, wait for it, for this is a CO---OSMIC idea, listening to known, natural sounds! One of the most difficult signals for monitors to reproduce properly is male speech. A good (only??!!)source of this is Radio3 presenters. Any commercial station will be EQ'ed and comp'ed to buggery. Our own Classic FM makes even the gals sound as tho' they have hairy chests. Good recordings of piano, jangling keys, bells anything with a wide bandwidth that you can reproduce live.

One property that is hardly ever specified, even for expensive active monitors is "self noise" That is the background hum and hiss produced by the onboard amplifiers.
"Surely that should be bugger all!" you say? You would think so and have every right to have monitors that don't hum (at all!) and produce only the faintest hiss from the tweeter with Mk1 lug against it but this is often not the case and if your work involves thru the night sessions with quiet material such as acoustic guitar or VOX, any detectable noise at the sweet spot can become very irritating.

Of course! If your chosen field is punk/rap/electronic gyration..Forget the last paragraph and only take a brief scan of the first!

Dave.

A few years ago at Entec I had a listen to Sonodyne monitors they sounded very nice, if I was in the market for some monitors I would have bought a pair. Anyone here heard of them? Grover Notting? Don't forget Event. If you want to get serious how about Dynaudio, Genelec, Mackie, JBL, how many do you want? They all appeal to someone so we are all different.

Alan.

Hmmm...I don't know the Grover Notting or Even monitors. However, of your list, count me as a Genelec fan. I've never owned them but the last place I worked used them in most of the edit and post suites and I really liked the sound muchly

Haha! That ^ tends to give the lie to the idea that speakers "run in" since logically Bobbs, those (name?) should by now be "run out"!

FYI, they're a pair of Rogers Studio 1 monitors. They were originally purchased in 1982 for use in the "Master Control" area of the place I worked where they did good service--then, when we moved to new premises in 1991, yours truly was charged with selling off some of the old items to staff. Nobody happened to notice the price I negotiated with myself! Besides the large Rogers boxes, I also have a pair of AKG LSM50 cube near field speakers--sort of an Auratone clone but they seem to work well and sound good. These are youngsters--they date from 1991!

Accuracy USED to be judged by, wait for it, for this is a CO---OSMIC idea, listening to known, natural sounds! One of the most difficult signals for monitors to reproduce properly is male speech. A good (only??!!)source of this is Radio3 presenters. Any commercial station will be EQ'ed and comp'ed to buggery. Our own Classic FM makes even the gals sound as tho' they have hairy chests. Good recordings of piano, jangling keys, bells anything with a wide bandwidth that you can reproduce live.

One property that is hardly ever specified, even for expensive active monitors is "self noise" That is the background hum and hiss produced by the onboard amplifiers.
"Surely that should be bugger all!" you say? You would think so and have every right to have monitors that don't hum (at all!) and produce only the faintest hiss from the tweeter with Mk1 lug against it but this is often not the case and if your work involves thru the night sessions with quiet material such as acoustic guitar or VOX, any detectable noise at the sweet spot can become very irritating.

Of course! If your chosen field is punk/rap/electronic gyration..Forget the last paragraph and only take a brief scan of the first!

Dave.

It'll sound a bit narcissistic but I tend to use my own live board recordings from musical theatre to judge monitors. I know the sound inside out and backwards and also how it sounded live in the theatre--so I strive to reproduce that.

FYI Dave, bucking the trend, my monitors are passive and I have a separate amp--currently on the third amp because the speakers seem to outlast everything! Yeah, there's some noise and hiss if I turn the amp gain all the way up but the gain staging seems to work if both the amp input attenuator and the monitor out pot on my mixer are about half way up, i.e. just below 12 o'clock.

Ha! The very first time I heard a CD was on Rogers speakers. So long ago I don't remember the model. They were pretty big for "domestics" probably had 10" bass drivers?...Anyhoo the CD was Bat out of Hell and the level (from a Quad 405) was loudish on the intro then WHAMMO! Got totally blown away! I immediately thought "GOT to get me one of these!" CD player that is, could not afford the rest of the rig!

Your reference is YOUR business! I merely mention the "live sound" comparisons for noobs!

Dave.

A monitor is there to tell you what you are doing so you can make the correct mixing decisions.

At the OP's low budget level, I still think that the Equator D5 is the very best value you can get - go to a dealer and give them a listen.

I was at a studio recently who are about to change their £4k monitors for a much better £10k set - they were trying out the small Equators and were amazed at the quality they gave out - they even preferred them to their £4k monitors.

So, I would say, go and have a listen.

Accuracy USED to be judged by, wait for it, for this is a CO---OSMIC idea, listening to known, natural sounds! One of the most difficult signals for monitors to reproduce properly is male speech.

Agreed - human speech is a vital test for monitors. If they don't sound natural on speech I won't buy them.

This is not the only test, of course, but it is a vital one.

Speech is at the frequencies where our ears are most sensitive and if a monitor won't get this right I won't trust it.

300 Pound is around $500 dollars if I'm not mistaking

Everyone is saying his budget is low but $500 usd can get you some great sounding monitors like the KRK RP8G3-NA Rokit 8 Generation 3 Powered Studio Monitors (pair) New $499+ free shipping on Amazon or the M-Audio BX8 D2 Studio Monitors (pair) for $499 at guitar center brand new. Both sound amazing and no need for a sub.

...except that, as he quotes in pounds sterling, he's obviously British and he has to pay British prices or get hit by huge shipping and customs charges.

Places like Thomann (that I linked to) are about the best deals he'll find in the UK.

...except that, as he quotes in pounds sterling, he's obviously British and he has to pay British prices or get hit by huge shipping and customs charges.

Places like Thomann (that I linked to) are about the best deals he'll find in the UK.

We get shafted anyway Bobbs! Even A&H stuff is way cheaper in $$s than ££s.

Mind you, 20% VAT don't help.

Dave.

Heh. Not to take this too far off topic, but I have a pair of Smaller Advents that I bought in 1976 and I use as main speakers on my home theater. You'll get my Smaller Advents when you pry them from my cold dead hands. :)

I don't remember what model monitors I have, since I am not at home at the moment, but they are Yamahas and I think they might be 5". I do know they are small and I am amazed at the bass they put out. I will say this I am no expert so whatever it's worth Pat

I find my Mackie HR624s good enough for a reasonably small room.
I've used the 824s in larger environments and, honestly, think I'd prefer to have the 624s in the smaller space.

I think the 824s would be overpowering, especially without good treatment.

Everyone is saying his budget is low but $500 usd can get you some great sounding monitors like the KRK RP8G3-NA Rokit 8 Generation 3 Powered Studio Monitors (pair) New $499+ free shipping on Amazon or the M-Audio BX8 D2 Studio Monitors (pair) for $499 at guitar center brand new. Both sound amazing and no need for a sub.

But a monitor should *NOT* be "great sounding" - it should be "accurate and revealing".

A proper monitor is never cheap if it does the job properly - that's why I pay about £2,500 for my baby nearfields and will pay about £8k to get larger nearfields that go down to 35Hz.

There are loads of inexpensive "monitors" around, but how trustworthy are they?

That's why I mention the Equator D5 as a good inexpensive "monitor" as it does, I hear, an exceptional job for the price.

Oh - and something that sells for $500 in the USA is likely to sell for about £500 in the UK - that's 1.6 times more expensive.

Grover Notting are an Oz company, Event are now owned by Rode so that are an Oz company too, Event brought out the famous 20/20 monitors.

Alan.

I'll have to see if I can get a listen next time I'm in my friendly audio shop...

And ecc83, if you want to talk shafted, you should see AUSTRLIAN prices! I dream of the days of Thomann or DV247 and their British level of le shaft!

I'll have to see if I can get a listen next time I'm in my friendly audio shop...

And ecc83, if you want to talk shafted, you should see AUSTRLIAN prices! I dream of the days of Thomann or DV247 and their British level of le shaft!

Yes, I know and I KNEW you would come back at me!
I read that the reason US prices were lower than UK was because shipping was cheaper from China but, and excuse my hopeless geography, surely you and they are practically on hand shaking terms?

For booze and fags ( I am sworn off both) people here do a "White Van Job" to Le continent!

Dave.

I suspect it's more to do with staff at places like Guitar Centre being on minimum wage of a bit over half what it is in the UK and a quarter the Australian one. And VAT/GST doesn't help either.

Still, I'm happier in a place where retail employees don't have to rely on food stamps.

I suspect it's more to do with staff at places like Guitar Centre being on minimum wage of a bit over half what it is in the UK and a quarter the Australian one. And VAT/GST doesn't help either.

Still, I'm happier in a place where retail employees don't have to rely on food stamps.

Not got my head round that Bobbs! What is minimum wage in Oz? And yes, there are more and more working people here using food banks. I really don't know how some employers sleep at night.

Dave.

Idk dude. I'm sure others won't agree but I'd rather mix on a nice pair of headphones than 5" monitors. At the minimum I'd try for a 6" one (they are usually actually 6.5").

I've always heard that mixing with headphones is dicey at best due to the fact that the stereo field is completely different than with speakers.

Back