Studio monitors

Euan_Fox

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is in the right place. I have around £150, is this enough to buy any decent studio monitors (pair)? I'll be going to uni in a year, and I would like to take them with, so the smaller the better, also I'll be using them for listening to music as much as I will be for mixing. I could save for longer but I need to get some mic's too, so I thought £150 would be good. Anyone have any suggestions?

Naaa...you're in the studio building forum.
I'll move this to the Newbies forum...you will get a lot more responses there. :)

Given that you're in Wales and £150 is your top whack, it would be remiss of me not to mention the Studiospares Seiwins. I don't know what the postage from London would be but it couldn't be that much.
Admittedly, I wouldn't know a quality monitor if the Venusians beamed one down to me after a whistle stop to Pluto via Saturn, but I use these and they're OK......for this stage of my development.
For an extra £30, you can get a decent pair of stands too. I got my set of monitors and stands for less than £150.

decent monitors could cost thousands...will you be able to buy a usable pair of nearfields? yes

although 5" woofers will do try to look for something like the rokit KRK6, theres a pair on the UK ebay for 130 but I doubt they'll stay that low...the krk 5s first generation are prolly more in your budget

Studiospares UK do their own brand activ6 monitors for 200 but you'd have to do a bit of research to find out what their quality is like...i know they do a decent set of NS10 clones but I dont know anything about their nearfields

Given that you're in Wales and £150 is your top whack, it would be remiss of me not to mention the Studiospares Seiwins. I don't know what the postage from London would be but it couldn't be that much.
Admittedly, I wouldn't know a quality monitor if the Venusians beamed one down to me after a whistle stop to Pluto via Saturn, but I use these and they're OK......for this stage of my development.

ha studiospares...beat me to it :D

Nearfields are monitors that you place pretty close to you. The consensus seems to be that they don't sound good at distance. I wouldn't know. I've never lived anywhere where distance was ever anything but a dream, never to be realized in the cold hard light of day.

Back