Studio Monitors Alternative.

tonypgl

I heard of some headphones that could replace the studio monitors.. Do they really do the job as good as some old NS10? :)

maybe, depends out the quality of course. also, look for large frequency ranges and stuff like that.

the only downside is that you cannot put a subwoofer into your headphones. well, that didnt come out right... i like having a sub with my monitors,
a) to prevent overloading my monitors and makeing them sound bad,
b) a sub adds such a nice kick to the mix, and you want the best sound possible (durr..)

some headphones can be quite expensive too.

Well... The issue with almost all headphones is that you end up with presence boosts in frequencies that you don't want while trying to mix. If you're wanting to do serious (or even semi-serious) mixing, then you need to try to get studio monitors. I mixed on headphones for a little while (Sony MDR-7506, which I really like) when I couldn't afford monitors, and I made it work, but I was having to check the mixes translation to other systems alot more. Plus, headphones will be much more fatiguing than monitors will.

Got it...
Actually this what i do to... i check my mixes on other people's audio... 'cus i'm using Behringer headphones :o :o :o
Ok than... there goes 3-4 salaries on a pair of studio monitors... :mad:

Have to agree with, well, everybody. I did some early mixes on 7506's, doublechecked against my home theater speakers. It would take me a minimum of 3 complete mixes on a given project before I had something acceptable on a range of playback systems. So three times the work, basically. What's your time worth to you?

I now have a cheap (M-Audio BX8's) pair of monitors, and I get a better mix on the first try than I did on the third try with 'phones. $300 well spent, and I look forward to retiring them to mains duty, and getting "good" monitors.

ermghoti said:
Have to agree with, well, everybody. I did some early mixes on 7506's, doublechecked against my home theater speakers. It would take me a minimum of 3 complete mixes on a given project before I had something acceptable on a range of playback systems. So three times the work, basically. What's your time worth to you?

I now have a cheap (M-Audio BX8's) pair of monitors, and I get a better mix on the first try than I did on the third try with 'phones. $300 well spent, and I look forward to retiring them to mains duty, and getting "good" monitors.

Wow, same exact path I'm on. I am also currently using BX8's and will eventually go onto something else as well. Now what will be scarier is if we end up with the same monitors down the road (cue twilight zone music :D )

Please tell me... what do you think about BEYER DYNAMIC DT48 headphones? Could they replace studio monitors?
I couldn't find any relevant specifications about them... so.. do you know something.
I'm gettin' them at around 50 $, new, so i think i'll get them anyway.
Thanks

Attachments

• BYRDT48.jpg
    BYRDT48.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 119
I once heard somewhere that the reason the monitors are needed, and better than headphones is because of the amount of space between you and the speaker. I forget all of the technical jargon, but basically monitors are more respresentative for mixing and mastering purposes.

I could be WAY off base, so anyone who knows better feel free to correct me.

The fact that this guy's trail of bad rep points is directly labled to his boasting about using cracked software because he's "just too poor" to afford it leads me to tell him.....

$5 earbuds will get you the mix you deserve

LemonTree said:
The fact that this guy's trail of bad rep points is directly labled to his boasting about using cracked software because he's "just too poor" to afford it leads me to tell him.....

$5 earbuds will get you the mix you deserve

Yeah, dude, why don't you just steal some monitors? I mean, you only make $20 a year and it would just take too long to save up that kind of money.

Thanks for the article Scrubs, not for the jerky remarc.

On the other hand, LemonTree is a bigger asshole... Man, get over it, i could create another account on this forum... but the reason i don't is because i know i am right in some ways. -900 rep. points are suitable for a serial killer... anyway... get a life grumbly old man.

"$5 earbuds will get you the mix you deserve"

Cruel motherfuckers around here. If YOU or your grumbling friends don't want to help me, at least don't go around splattering eggs on my window.

Summary: Get a life!

Yes dmbfan81, you are probably right, but as a low budget alternative, i'm asking that they could do the job for some semi-professional mixing. Anyway i bought them... so i guess now they're just going to do the job. :)

tonypgl said:
Ever heard of these? What do you think?
Edirol/Roland MA-15D Digital Micro Monitors

How the fuck can you afford those if you can't afford recording software? Do you plan on stealing those too?

tonypgl said:
anyway... get a life grumbly old man.

by the time you hit 25 you should start to realise what an asrehole you've been and how much of your life has been wasted arguing with pixels on your screen. Grow up.

LemonTree said:
How the fuck can you afford those if you can't afford recording software? Do you plan on stealing those too?

I'm getting them real cheap from a guy that doesn't know anything about monitors, they are just small speakers to him. :p

DO THEY GET THE JOB DONE?

Back