Studio furniture (cheap)

Mr. Ins@ne

Can anyone tell me what's the cheapest and coolest studio furniture in the moment? I saw RTA producer's kit por $500 and it looked damn good, but I have no idea whether it is a cool price or not. I've never been into studio furniture before.

cheap furniture? They sell it at your home improvement store, but there is a catch. You have to buy all the pieces seperate, cut them, and nail them together. Its quite fun.

I say DIY, it cant be that hard.

A little less diy is a computer desk from the local office supply shop, and add few rack rails for your gear. You could do that for $100 or so.

cheap rack furniture

hey there

i guess you guys have IKEA over there? couple of suggestions - they do a really neat bedside cabinet for about £9 - (so i guess 15 bucks?) which when you screw in some racking strip is a perfect 19" internal fit

you sometimes get a bit of a squeeze with companies who push the ear width (focusrite are particularly bad) but i've yet to come across a unit that doesn't fit.

these sorts of units cost about nearly $100 each from one of our furniture suppliers in the UK.

there's a piccy of my three main racks at:
http://www.tollboothmusic.com/stddets.htm

about halfway down the page. note: one or two of them have the bottom shelf lowered to allow more units in. the rack metalwork costs about $10 for each unit.

hope this helps

best regs

paul d
tollboothmusic

Last edited:
Hey! Someone in the u.k.

...and not only in the u.k. but in yorkshire too! :)

I like the Ikea tip! Do you have any other low budget tips?
I's really welcome anything from a u.k. perspective!

Where did you get your curvy desk, it's nice!

love

Freya

cheap furniture

dear mr sus

i completely agree as regards the evil ikea empire - however - if you can face the queues, lack of stock, incomplete product, misaligned drill holes, strange swedish fish-based snack things they have after the check-outs, then actually they often are a good base source of very cheap mass purchased start units for modding and adapting.

fr'instance - i couldn't buy the pine in the uk, finished and sanded and treated cheaper than ikea can supply it prepacked. and if they want to supply it unknowingly to an audience who would pay (because we often do!) much more for stuff that's not much better, then more fool them!

but i DO seem to remember stating in a 45minute queue just to get out of the parking lot that i would NEVER go there again. that was about five years ago!

fool to myself.

have a good weekend

paul d

and freya - thanks for getting in touch.

Back