Studio Furniture- Build it or Buy It?

play4god

I'm setting up the studio here, and I've been looking at the Omnirax Commander and Fusion workstations... Pretty cool, but also pretty pricey...

Any suggestions on:

1- Other good places for studio furniture?
2- Should I just try to measure it out and build it myself, and if so, any suggestions on good places to buy rails, etc.

Thanks!
Jeff

I bought the Omnirax Synergy 800 console - great unit, if a bit pricey.... but it saved me from doing the work myself!

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Unless you have a wood shop, building furniture is tough!
I suppose you could get some 2x4's, some plywood and nail it all together, but its going to look like a hammered wolf shit!

Look into buying something fairly basic, like tables from office depot, and modify that to suit your needs.
I bought 2 5'x30" tables, and a corner unit for around $600. (This furniture was intended for office cubicles, its not plain cafeteria style tables.) Being made for an office, the furniture has cable chases in the back of it,,, mega handy!
Then on one of the tables, I cut the "legs" down so that my keyboard would be at the right height. It would be fairly easy to cut a hole in one of the tabletops, and rig something to mount a mixer at table top level. Carefully done, this could look real nice! Not to mention saving you lots of money.

If you want to see pics of what I have done go here:
http://michaeljones.iuma.com

or here:
http://greysfiles.com/Studio/Index.htm
and look for Michael Jones' Studio

Here's a thread that has some links to some studio furniture manufacturers. If you're good at building furniture, maybe you can use one of their designs as an idea ...if you're not ... then maybe it's better to buy.
I got my little 'side car' rack for around $180US at markertek.com ... I think it's made by Middle Atlantic.
Standard particle board crap ... but it looks pretty nice ... nicer than if I made it myself, anyway ... "hammered wolf shit" ... I squirted soda out my nose at that one! ;)

Back