Studio Fees & Sample Recording Contracts

Landie

I would like to know what are some the hourly rates being charged at some your studios? Is any one willing share a sample Recording studio contract? I would also like see some of your equipment lists.I know, next I'll be in need of your blood!!! I'm simply trying to get idea of where to begin with good business recording practices. How do you compete aside from good technical ability.

My Equipment List
Computer
400Mhz PII
128M Ram
WD 10.2G HD
WD 6.4G HD
Scsi Card
Jaz Drive
Zip Drive
Cdrw
36X CDRom
2port Midi card
Acer Sound Card

Software
Cakewalk Pro Audio 8.04

Roland VS880 EX with sound fx card
Technics RS TR252 Cassette Deck
Sony CD Player
VSX 501 Pioneer Receiver
Alesis 3630 compressor
Lexicon Alex
Dod 430 Series II Eq
Layla sound card
Emu Planet Phatt Sound Module
Korg X3
Roland Jx 305
Art Tube MP
2 Akg 240K Head Phones
Akg C3000s Mic
Bose Speakers

I know that I don't have all of the proper equipment, such as good monitors and a dedicated amp but the quality is still good. Please no laughter, I'm learning.

No laughter. Looks you are on your way to a nice little home studio. As for contracts & hourly rates I am useless, since my studio is put together just for my band and my own tinkering. I recall seeing some good books on the business side profiled in Musician magazine, you might want to check them out.

My only comment is that you should consider upgrading to Cakewalk 9, as it has some substancial improvements in audio recording, which is after all what you are going to be doing.

looks like you are off to a good start with the gear list.i'd get a good set of nearfields and some more mics and go for it.i have a 24x8 yamaha,an adat,dat cd burner,400mhz k6-2 workstation,aphex easyridr compressor,alesis microverbs,an alesis/groove tubes am 11 mic,sennheiser md-421,some shure 57's and 58's,alesis point seven nearfields and lots of little odds and ends too numerous to mention in a 350 sq. ft two room(main room and control booth)studio here in tulsa,ok. and charge a base rate of 30.00 per hour,or 25.00 per hour in 10 hour blocks.in addition to recording gear i have a mapex drum set here,a new marshall vs-102 amp,a '71 fender pa-135 amp(like a bassman 135 head w/4 channels)and an oberheim ob-3/2 hammond organ simulation module(sounds scary real).....if you are contemplating going pro or semi pro,just remember this,get the money up front on hourly jobs,at least 50% of the money up front on package deals and don't let them get away with anything that isn't paid for.as far as contracts,i usually just use a standard invoice form and detail the charges and billing there,everyone does that different i guess.....good luck

Thank you all for your good advice. My brother and I will be combining our studios in about 4 months. He's retiring after 20 years in the Navy. We tried not to step on each other in terms of purchasing equipment. We however purchased compatible formats. He has the dedicated amp, mics, yamaha NS10 Monitors, acoustic instruments, keyboards and sound modules. Nothing like a brother and sister team huh? I will upgrade Cakewalk to 9.0.

It sounds life you are on your way. We own an operate a state-of-the art digital comercial facility and if I were you i would charge between $25-35 per hour. Please remember that large studios are not only succesful by having a lot of equipment. Anyone can buy up a lot of equipment and ake a studio look really good but it depends on the ears of the engineer as to how it sounds. Studios get away with $500.00 to $1000.00 dollar charges because of their staff. Focus on this area.

Hope this helps.

Back