Studio 32 in the shop

Tonekat

Well, our Studio 32 began transmitting a loud humming over the monitors about a month ago, and off it went to the local repair shop. They estimate 200-250 to fix. I think the problem is in the master output section.
The problem is that each week they say it will be ready the following week, and the last time I spoke to the tech, he said it was really beating him up.
Oh boy, are these things that hard to fix?

Hey Muttley, well, I got back from 2 weeks vacation Sun night, called the shop yesterday, and was informed it's driving the tech crazy, but he'll try to have it done by the end of the week. He told me a few weeks ago it was some tiny capacitor in the output section that's very difficult to track down. Fortunately they're not charging me by the hour!!!!!

Yeah, best time for it to happen, bass player and I have been going on vacation, biz trips, so we weren't playing anyway. I'm not even going to call the shop until next week, I'm sure they won't have it done today!

I love my 32, it was used as my recording concel untill I got my Dm24 about a year and 9 months ago.
Now I use my 32 for playing gigs when I have to bring my own system.

Ya the Tascam DM24 and I love that for recording much more
then the alisis studio 32, but I did love the 32 when I used it.

The major problems with both the S24 & 32 is the control switches
which are so small, one cannot tell if they're depressed or not.
Their pre's are average with low-sensitivity ratings but will give them small credit for thier eq and acceptable mid-sweeps.
Alesis boards are 1 step up from Behringer (which ain't sayin' much) but can provide simple,workmanlike perf in tracking.
I own both units but rarely use them anymore. I have never had any operational break-downs with either unit.

I plan on using my A-24 @ JAMFEST3 to produce some 2-track,"guerilla recordings"!

It's Alive.......

Well, they called me late yesterday afternoon, and I picked it up from the shop this morning. Whew, the invoice says I took it in on May 29th. I didn't think it was that long ago, so that may be in error. Anyway, the price was reasonable for all the time they had to spend on it. Turned out to be one 92 cent capacitor. Notes on the invoice say "Repair took a long time to complete" and "Very difficult to locate failure". Now to take this to the studio and hook it up. Oh well, I have been wanting to re-wire things anyway.

Back