Studer A807 boot failure

jpmorris

Tape Wolf
Okay, so after a productive session last night, which involved using the A807 to do some backwards piano, the machine up and died. The A807 has a particular operating mode where you can press PLAY with the tape unloaded so as to clean the capstan. However, I have never been sure how to get it INTO that mode after use. Sometimes the act of cleaning the rest of the transport will cause the machine to go back into idle, I suspect it may be related to the tape presence sensor.
The machine goes into idle by default, so a quick and dirty way to get the machine into idle is to power it off and power it on again. I don't like doing this because I've been worried for a while that power cycling it too much may damage the machine, and of course that is exactly what happened.

The machine now displays the ROM version, but this never clears and the top two indicator LEDs flash. There isn't a list of fault codes that I can find, but other people who have reported similar antics (including someone with the exact same ROM version as me) discovered that the 15v fuse had blown. Which it has (might have been nice if they could have said '15u' in the LED display?). One reason for starting this thread is to spread the knowledge.

Now, the old fuse was a 2A slow-blow fuse and the only 2A fuses I have don't say if they're fast or slow because I didn't know how to tell at the time. I'm assuming it's a quick-blow fuse - either way, the replacement blew and given the very violent manner in which the original 2A fuse blew I am thinking that it's not just a one-off.

At least two other people have encountered this issue and found that the rectifier for the 15v line had gone short, so I have some replacements on order, just in case. Over the next day or so I'll pull the rectifier board and poke it around to see if that has happened.

Something that worries me a bit is that I can't find drop-in replacements for the ones used on the deck. The low voltage lines have square, 2A 35v bridge rectifiers with a hole in the middle to which the heat sink attaches. The only ones I can find of similar rating (2A 80v) are round and have no way to attach cooling. I appreciate that semiconductor technology has improved in the intervening 29 years since the machine was built. Should I be worried about the replacement overheating, assuming a replacement is needed?

The other thing is that the servicing manual specifies different ratings, e.g. something like 0.8A 250v, two 2A 35v, one 6A 280v(!). Was this done for cost saving, or is there a reason you'd want a lower rating? For instance, a 0.8A 250v bridge rectifier doesn't seem to be a thing. Would it be harmful to put in a 400v 2A unit?

Assuming I can get the machine back on its feet, there is a mod recommended for the rectifier board of putting capacitors over the back of it for surge suppression. This came standard on the MK2, and now I feel like a moron for not adding them when I recapped the machine last year...

Hmm, yes. It appears that the rectifier has shorted one of the AC inputs to negative. That's not going to make it very happy.

In case anyone is curious, this is what the rectifier board looks like with the heat sink removed. The rectifiers are 15mm on a side and the pins are 10mm apart and usually completely hidden by the massive heat sink.

a807_rectifier_board-s.jpg

Sorry you’re getting nothing but crickets in response...i really hope you can get it going.

Regarding the bridge rectifiers im guessing it likely was a cost savings measure to select a variety of parts, though they might be at least somewhat closer in spec when you consider some are lower current higher voltage while others are higher current and lower voltage...they’re not the same but if you compared the power rating of what’s specified then you see they are only somewhat different, not wildly different. The 6A part is quite a bit higher. There is t a problem going higher. Of course that doesn’t mean find a 5 million gigawatt part, but find the parts that have the pin footprint or even close (I got some parts that had the pins...they weren’t exactly the same footprint but they worked just fine because of the spacing between the body of the bridge and the board). And get what you need to get to get parts that have the square body withbthe mounting hole. 2A 400V is fine...even bigger. You could likely get the same part for all of them, just making sure the rating meets or exceeds the highest rated part. 8A 400V even...it’s fine. Make sure you use thermal compound paste in between the bridges and the heat sink when you reinstall the sink.

Thanks. There never was any thermal compound. Speaking to my father, he wasn't convinced the heat-sink was necessary for the 15v line, though he did caution that very large rectifiers might have a larger voltage drop.
I panic-ordered a bunch of rectifiers on the night the machine failed, and some of those have arrived. I have installed the 6A 400V rectifier since it's the same package as the failed one and looking at the specs of the failed component they have similar enough characteristics.

The good news

The machine is now working again.

The bad news

I made a stupid mistake when re-assembling the heat-sink. I soldered the rectifier in place and THEN tried to put the heat-sink on. DO NOT DO THIS. Put the rectifier in place, assemble the heat-sink and only then solder the pins to the board. I messed this up and as a result there was a small cracking noise as the other rectifiers pushed their wonky brethren into place and lifted two of the tracks off the PCB.
Having desoldered the component to see what's happened I have re-installed it correctly. There is still continuity and as I say, the machine appears to be fully working. I am a bit worried that thermal stress might cause the track to break in future. It might be worth me pulling the board again and soldering in some bypass leads. I'll also look out for a spare rectifier board on ebay.

Last edited:
Good work. Very glad it’s working!

And yes the reason your pops gave for bigger not always being better on a bridge rectifier, the voltage drop, is exactly right and why I glibly stated not to get a 5 million gigawatt part...increases voltage drop. But usually some small order of magnitude increase in power rating is just fine and in some cases may be wise. I think you’re in good shape.

Back