Student Mix Project Pt2

The performance is really good.

Guitars seem a bit off balance to the left side.

A bit more reverb than I like on vocals.

Kick drum and bass have no sub frequencies. I had to check to make sure my sub was even on.

Cymbals seem lost in the background for my taste.

Overall the mix sounds quite good. Just needs some backbone in the low end.

This is all just my opinion. :)

Where are you going to school? Seems you are doing very well. :D

Turns out my Drum Busses were all messed up when I printed this and that's why everything was so low. I'll get another mix up soon LOLOLOL my bad

The new mix will have less verb on the vocals and louder drums :) (The reverb buss was maxed and I don't remember doing that lol).

I'll post the new one within the hour

Cool!

Don't just do it because I said to. This was just my opinion. Use your own judgment. :)

You were right this time my friend :) It's sounding better so far. Oh and I'm going to Fanshawe College. I graduated Music Industry Arts and I'm doing Audio Post Production for my post graduated

You were right this time my friend :) It's sounding better so far. Oh and I'm going to Fanshawe College. I graduated Music Industry Arts and I'm doing Audio Post Production for my post graduated

Nice! My 19 year old is starting a full time 3 year audio production course at Institute of Art in Denver in two weeks. I hope to learn from him instead of just buying him gear. lol! :)

Here is another mix with all the bussing set up properly this time lol:
https://soundcloud.com/ryanjhollenbeck/shine-bright

So I address the overheads to bring out more cymbal clarity, hotter overall drums, i tried to find a bit better balance in the guitars, and I brought back a lot of sub frequency range that I had a HPF on. The snare is actually in this mix this time as well lololol.'

I only hear ONE THING finally lol. I can hear the delay trail on the vocals because I turned the reverb down a lot on the vox. I think if i level that off a bit this one may be done :)

Nice! My 19 year old is starting a full time 3 year audio production course at Institute of Art in Denver in two weeks. I hope to learn from him instead of just buying him gear. lol! :)

Awesome man! Thanks for all the help so far and good luck to you and your family :)

Much better! I am hearing the vocals are in need of some line by line automation. Some vocals jump out. Some buried. Chorus altogether is quiet IMO. There seems to be a frequency around 2K that seems to jump out in the singers voice at times. I would tame that a bit first, and bring it up in volume.

Curious, what are you using for compression on the vocal track?

Much better! I am hearing the vocals are in need of some line by line automation. Some vocals jump out. Some buried. Chorus altogether is quiet IMO. There seems to be a frequency around 2K that seems to jump out in the singers voice at times. I would tame that a bit first, and bring it up in volume.

Curious, what are you using for compression on the vocal track?

Ya, the singer cut it live off the floor and was in and out on the mic a lot. She also has a lot of vocal artifacts that jump out around the 2k area (dat rasp). I have been trying so hard to compress and eq it out (our teach said no automation on this one, wants to see what we can do on a very fundamental level).

I have been using all stock PT11 plugs for this. DynEQ and DynComp. Mid attack time to let her onset through (i find the intially hit of a singers voice brings a lot of the character and emotion with it so I dont like to have a fast attack) and a slow release to level it out nicely (but it still pops inappropriately at times I must say). She was very much in and out on the mic when recording (I would have mentioned something from the control room I think if I was the recording engineer or producer here)

I think I may just bust out the multiband comp and crush the 2k area significantly just to see the effect on her voice. I will also boost the vocals and guitars a hair to see if that pops the chorus a bit more without automation (there is plenty of headroom left to play with overall :) )

I am always wary of the multiband comps. I avoid them like the plague unless it is necessary. This could be a situation where it could work, but I would suggest just finding the resonant frequency and cutting it a few dB before sending to the compressor. Use a fast attack 10:1 lightly to take the edge off, then a second slower attack 5:1 to smooth it out a bit.

Again, this is just what I would try first, and I have no clue as to how Protools compressors sound. It is really tough to give direct advice without having the track in front of me. I am only giving suggestion as to what I would try first.

I am impressed with what you are doing already. I like the fact that you are listening. :)

Now's that something I hadn't thought of. Instead of obsessing about room treatment and mics and parallel compression, I could just reproduce and send my offspring to recording school. Might take a while though...

Reproductive audio engineering - long term project.
The chorus is quiet.
Pity you can't automate the vox - I mean back in analogue land they'd manually ride the faders - it's as fundamental as you can get - purely hands on.
Too much snare for my tastes - it drowns the vocal in spots.

Back