struggling to get guitar compression right

skiz

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a question here about guitar compression cause im really struggling with it as far as attack and release times go.

I've been quite focused on drums up until now and feel pretty confident with it but now i realise i dont know much about processing guitars..

I want to try and tighten up the sound that i have on this one track with use of compression but it sounds very unnatural so far. I have no idea what to do with attack and release times with guits..

any way, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot!

Start on a ratio of 2:1 at about -4dB from the average value, and go from there.

Set the attack quite high and the release to the tempo of the song (i.e. 1 beat).

From there, tweak and play!

Also remember that distorted guitars, by their very nature, are already compressed. A lot of times, adding further compression to a distorted guitar will either server no purpose or suck what little dynamics are left right out of it.

I guess it depends on what you're going for by compressing the guitars. I'm not sure what you mean by "tightening up the sound" on the guitars. You may be dealing with guitars that weren't recorded ideally (i.e. too much distortion, not enough mids, bad mic placement, room ambience interfering, etc.).

Here's a trick that I learned a while back that has to do with setting attack and release times. Turn your threshold way down, maybe even all the way down, and set your ratio to something really high. These exaggerated settings will help you hear what your attack and release settings are really doing. Once you set your attack and release to something that achieves what you're going for, turn your threshold and ratio back to normal and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Start on a ratio of 2:1 at about -4dB from the average value, and go from there.

Set the attack quite high and the release to the tempo of the song (i.e. 1 beat).

From there, tweak and play!

By "high", do you mean fast or slow? Or by attack, do you mean threshold?

To not "squash" the sound, I'd recommend fast attack and high threshold. What that will do is preserve the natural sound of the attack and sustain the note as it begins to decay.

'Clean or distorted, lead or chording- perhaps head very different directions/goals. For clean' soloing in particular I'm very fond of UAD's 1176 in four-button mode. (Thumbs up' thingy here :)) For chording' or just in general- you might want to ask 'what timings that fit the rhythm, and always, how much attack do you want left in?

Also remember that distorted guitars, by their very nature, are already compressed. A lot of times, adding further compression to a distorted guitar will either server no purpose or suck what little dynamics are left right out of it.

I guess it depends on what you're going for by compressing the guitars. I'm not sure what you mean by "tightening up the sound" on the guitars. You may be dealing with guitars that weren't recorded ideally (i.e. too much distortion, not enough mids, bad mic placement, room ambience interfering, etc.).

Here's a trick that I learned a while back that has to do with setting attack and release times. Turn your threshold way down, maybe even all the way down, and set your ratio to something really high. These exaggerated settings will help you hear what your attack and release settings are really doing. Once you set your attack and release to something that achieves what you're going for, turn your threshold and ratio back to normal and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

+1. Good advice all around.

By "high", do you mean fast or slow? Or by attack, do you mean threshold?

To not "squash" the sound, I'd recommend fast attack and high threshold. What that will do is preserve the natural sound of the attack and sustain the note as it begins to decay.

I meant -4db for the threshold. Just something to attenuate the top of the signal, so as you say it doesnt crush the sound.

And by high attack I mean fast. Sorry I should probably use better terminology.

play tighter and things will 'tighten up'

i never liked too much or any compression on guitars. like someone said it robs the dynamics.

i like compression on bass for eveness and vocals for a more 'musical' quality.

play tighter and things will 'tighten up'

i never liked too much or any compression on guitars. like someone said it robs the dynamics.

i like compression on bass for eveness and vocals for a more 'musical' quality.

He could be going for that Nashville sound.... I compress the heck out of my semihollow, and it really sings. Different strokes for different folks.

Back