Strings

Track Rat

Just Your Average Sized Member
I've always been a GHS Boomer guy. And all my local spots don't carry them anymore. What's a mother to do? So today I'm trying something new. I hate change.IMG_0677.JPG

Good luck! I hate change too. However if it's any consolation, I've heard nothing but good things about Stringjoy and they even have a website tension.stringjoy.com where you can figure out what gauge strings you'd need to properly down tune a guitar and order the custom set on their page, which I think is neat!

I was in a local store that I've done business with for more than thirty years that recently sold when the owner retired. Some kid walks up to me and starts into his "string" sales pitch. I told him I had used GHS Boomers and he says "hmmmmm.....never heard of them". I won't be going back.

tried a bunch now I use Erie Ball mostly but frankly I am not too precious about the name, just get the right gauge and I'm ok.

It's official. I do NOT like the StringJoys. They break easy and don't hold tuning as well as GHS.

One thing I can say about strings. I played a long time on stage and still don't know if I made enough money to pay for the strings I bought after
all these years.

I was in a local store that I've done business with for more than thirty years that recently sold when the owner retired. Some kid walks up to me and starts into his "string" sales pitch. I told him I had used GHS Boomers and he says "hmmmmm.....never heard of them". I won't be going back.
I have been to quite a few stores where I have been disrespected, for the instruments I have or whatever. When I came back to NY from Co in 1999 I went into a local music store to buy strings. He rings them up and I say wow, thats twice the price I was paying for them in Co. He says close your eyes, I ask why, he says just humor me. So I do, then he says open them then proceeds to tell me, "this is 1999". Then I ask him to do the same, and he does and I tell him open them and proceed to tell him this is the last time you will ever see this customer. This was all after he asked what guitar I was putting them on and when told he starts putting the guitar down! How do these people stay in business. He may have went out of business? I never returned. I went into a music store here recently and the owner asks if he can help me. I told him yes, I am looking for an acoustic dreadnought that is not cut away but has built in electronics. He proceeds to tell me no one makes that kind of guitar, I just let that go. He has a bunch of guitars behind the counter so I am on the side of the counter and start leaning in to get a better look. He now is on the other side of the store and starts yelling at me, get out of there, you can't go back there. That was when I left never to return.

My last string purchase was from Just Strings, mainly because I needed a few things I couldn't find at any of the local shops, some single high E strings, and a set of C6 lapsteel strings, and a set of ground wound bass guitars strings . They were quick and have a really good selection. If it's available, I'll usually try to buy local.

All of the guitars that I purchased new were bought from smaller local shops, either here, or in a city that I used to visit for work. I've bought other stuff from GC/MF and Sweetwater like mics and such but not guitars.

Back