-String Changes- The small things that can get overlooked.

ShanPeyton

Not really a question just merely an observation to other semi newbs. Keep your strings fresh! It makes one hell of a difference in a guitar track! I wanted to double up a guitar part on a song i had started months ago and i changed the strings before i started tracking. What a difference in tones.

I then changed the strings on my bass and other guitar and it doesn't even sound like the same song.

Funny how such a small thing i take for granted can change my song. I wonder what else i could be doing different / over looking.

:guitar:

I don't particularly like using brand new strings for stuff until I've worn them in awhile and they settle down.
I find that with fresh strings....if I have to do a bunch of takes of the same stuff, maybe over a few days....they WILL change in tone until they settle and then the takes don't all sound the same if I'm going to comp them.

That said, yes, fresh strings sound different than beat up old strings, but I never got addicted to that like some guys have who change their strings every fdew days. I've even heard of guys changing them out after just a few hours of play time because they got hooked on that fresh string sound.

I like strings somewhere between brand new and worn out. I don't like the right-out-of-the-pack brightness, and I don't like them going dark. A little wear in is just right for me.

With bass strings, I like them brand new, although I pretty much never change mine.

Up until a minute ago I thought 'once in a blue moon' or 'when one breaks' was an OK regularity for changing strings. If it makes a big difference I'm going to splash out this weekend and get some new ones. :guitar:

Up until a minute ago I thought 'once in a blue moon' or 'when one breaks' was an OK regularity for changing strings. If it makes a big difference I'm going to splash out this weekend and get some new ones. :guitar:

Unless you have acid sweat, and the strings get all corroded real fast...then just run you finger under them (between the strings and frets)...and especially on the D string...you will notice small notches in the string from where they hit the frets.
You can feel them even after a few hours on new strings....but it's when they start to feel really edgy and cut-in....then it's probably time for a fresh pair....but honestly, I often play on them until they get pretty chewed up or one breaks.
I've got plenty of strings on hand....but just don't see a reason to keep tossing out strings, and for the most part, the guitars I end up recording with almost always have the more worn in strings rather than new ones....and I've never felt the strings were a problem.
If anything...I like to shave off some of that brightness...:)

A little talcum powder poured all over the guitar keeps things fresh.

Okay not really. Couldn't resist. :D

New strings don't intonate properly so let them settle down and old strings don't intonate properly because of wear and tear. Mostly because of what miro has pointed out. For a string to intonate correctly it my has to have a uniform mass per unit length. Even small changes throw thing off.

Personally I will leave a new set on for about an hours playing before adjusting. As far as tone goes it's a personal thing. I don't like the new string "zing" or the old string "dung"..

Cheap strings take longer to 'break in' and start sounding bad sooner. I've got used to coated acoustic strings - first Cleartones, then tried Elixers, but didn't like them too much, now Martin LifeSpans. Still searching for the "best" electric strings, the Cleartones were good but too expensive!
I put on new strings, give them a stretch, play for a few minutes, re-tune, then put the guitar in the case until the next day, then retune and good-to-go.
Bass strings - when I can't tune the damn thing anymore, time for new ones!

I typically "try" and let the strings do their thing for a day or two before even touching the guitar. I'll stick them on tune it up and shove it back in the case and play something else. This was a one off thing and i kind of liked it. Nice to see what everyone else is doing. I have seen the talc reference on this forum a few times. I can't imagine what that is all about.

Ah, Internets. HaHa!

New strings are a bit wacky but I've been using standard D'addarios forever and a good half hour of playing seems to do it for me. I've tried the coated strings a lot of times but I always go back to regular ones, just personal preference.
The one that threw me off was ukulele strings, they take forever to break in, they keep stretching and going out of tune and then boom, they stay in tune and last a lot longer than guitar strings.

Cheap strings take longer to 'break in' and start sounding bad sooner. I've got used to coated acoustic strings - first Cleartones, then tried Elixers, but didn't like them too much, now Martin LifeSpans. Still searching for the "best" electric strings, the Cleartones were good but too expensive!
I put on new strings, give them a stretch, play for a few minutes, re-tune, then put the guitar in the case until the next day, then retune and good-to-go.
Bass strings - when I can't tune the damn thing anymore, time for new ones!

Elixirs.... sound best after they've been on about a year... seriously. I had a set of nanowebs on my main gigging/recording guitar and they lasted forever... and I didn't want to change them because they were sounding good recorded. Depends upon the guitars though... mine always needs a bit of taming.

I didn't particularly like Elixers (extra light) when I tried them on my Fender A/E, didn't thnk the sound stayed good for that long. The medium Elixers on my new Taylor sound great right now, haven't recorded with them yet.

Back