Strenghtening your vocals?

chills

ok i rap so im look more into powering up my vocals and giving them a fuller sound not so much range.. i have a cheap 30 dollar mic.. what would you suggest as far as editing goes to strenghten the vocals.. apart from compression cuz i already do that

also how does delay help your vocals- please only an experienced engineer or editor answer

thank you

You can only do so much w/ compression and EQ. I'd stay away from compressing your vocals too much also. Invest 100 bucks in a cheap Large Diaphragm Condenser. That will be your start. The 30 dollar mics can only sound so good, eventually you'll want something a little more clearer and with more presence.

exactly.. i dont add that much compression to my vocals but compression is almost always needed.. also someone fill me in on the benefits of adding delay on your vocals

yeah i really need a new mic seriously

adding reverb and not quite delay, but the effect of double tracking can help

chills said:
also how does delay help your vocals- please only an experienced engineer or editor answer

Okay here's my experienced engineer/editor answer:

First you need a $2000 Neumann U87 microphone running straight into a $5000 Focusrite Red Preamp, while running a sidechain to a $2500 vintage Urei LA2A compressor, and $4300 Manley Massive Passive EQ. Once you've dropped about four perfect doubled vocal lines on to 2" analog tape, which is a $6000 Studer machine, you will want to mixdown on that $250,000 SSL console with full automation, adding some reverb from the $10,000 Lexicon 960L.

Then you need to hire a $5000 dollar a day mixer to mix your album, and send it to a $2000 dollar a day mastering house.

Vocals should sound pretty good then.

Maybe you should be hasty about asking for *expert* answers when all you have is a $30 dollar mic. :)

Cloneboy Studio said:
Okay here's my experienced engineer/editor answer:

First you need a $2000 Neumann U87 microphone running straight into a $5000 Focusrite Red Preamp, while running a sidechain to a $2500 vintage Urei LA2A compressor, and $4300 Manley Massive Passive EQ. Once you've dropped about four perfect doubled vocal lines on to 2" analog tape, which is a $6000 Studer machine, you will want to mixdown on that $250,000 SSL console with full automation, adding some reverb from the $10,000 Lexicon 960L.

Then you need to hire a $5000 dollar a day mixer to mix your album, and send it to a $2000 dollar a day mastering house.

Vocals should sound pretty good then.

Maybe you should be hasty about asking for *expert* answers when all you have is a $30 dollar mic. :)

haha ? i asked how delay helps your vocals not bout what kind of equipment i can get to strenghten my vocals.. thats why i stated that im workin with a 30 dollar mic.. so any answers or suggestions should be given with that in mind

Actually you said:

chills said:
ok i rap so im look more into powering up my vocals and giving them a fuller sound not so much range.. i have a cheap 30 dollar mic.. what would you suggest as far as editing goes to strenghten the vocals.. apart from compression cuz i already do that

And then you said:

chills said:

thank you

It would be commonsense to assume that you wanted an "experienced engineer or editor answer" for both questions.

As far as the delay goes, it can help you by setting up a slapback delay that acts similar to a double in instances where reverb isn't desirable. It's an old vocals trick that can help you out.

Maybe you should look into the ultimate vocal turd polisher, the TC Helicon Voice One. Great product... oh wait, it's 900 bucks... way out of your 30 dollar mic league.

Stop worrying about delay, and worry more about upgrading that mic to something decent.

yeah ok so basically.. just screw any form of editing on a 30 dollar mic.. im going to be looking into getting new equipment

Goddamn the HEAT on this BBS lately!

SHEESSH!

Before I get caught up attacking or retaliating, etc etc bullshit, bullshit

I'm jus hearing how delay can "Fill up" some acoustic space on the mix.

Yeah, I use compression like its a commandmant from God, I jus like it,

anyway, After you got your lead vocal and adlib/voice over track leveled correctly, u feel like you need something more right?

Its funny how you learn something 1 day, and the next day you wish u could go back and re-mix all of your previous shit.

Alright, in addition to the lead vocal, and the ad-lib track, I've been starting to put a 3rd "Ghosty" kinda track underneath it all.

What I do is straight up copy the the lead vocal, and alter it a bit. I put a
delay of like 25ms to the left, and 27ms to the right, the difference of 2ms IS
audible, only subtley making the track appear to be panned to the extreme left and right, knamean?

This 3rd trk I put underneath the other 2, by like 9 to 10dbs.

I pan the leads and the adlibs away from eachother slightly, like 7pts. alternating on each verse, while the "delay" track sits right in the middle, almost unoticably quiet, yet subtly there.

If you've ever "generated" your own adlibs, (copying the phrase, or trk, and moving slightly over in your Multi Track, You could how another track can give reverb, even a flange kinda if synced up.

Try Delaying a copy of the Lead Vox, with the Left and Right Delays off by no more than 5 ms, cutt some low end out of it, and drop it into the mix.

I luv this shit! Lemme know how it works.

-By the way, here's my setup:

-Dell notebook
-Radioshack 35$ superduper Dynamic Omni-directional Microphone
-1/4" to 1/8" (they said it was) Gold Plated mic adapter jack
-Makeshift Filter complete with stocking cap and wire hanger
-20$ Technics Stereo Headphones, (with 150,000 miles on them)
-CEP 2.0
-a helluva lota ambition and hunger for knowledge

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/djcrispycutzmusic.htm

Check out the Top of the list, "2b the Best" by this guy named Empire. (hi-fi)

Its still in workshop state, a few more generations of mixdowns will occur.

Check out that response from my 35$ mic though, Im sure it could compete with the big boys. The song is for a mixtape im working on, so all the local references are simply that, besides lyrics, listen for that generated ad-lib, with the delay on it.

Last edited:
<quote>Yeah, I use compression like its a commandmant from God, I jus like it,

anyway, After you got your lead vocal and adlib/voice over track leveled correctly, u feel like you need something more right?

Its funny how you learn something 1 day, and the next day you wish u could go back and re-mix all of your previous shit.

Alright, in addition to the lead vocal, and the ad-lib track, I've been starting to put a 3rd "Ghosty" kinda track underneath it all.

What I do is straight up copy the the lead vocal, and alter it a bit. I put a
delay of like 25ms to the left, and 27ms to the right, the difference of 2ms IS
audible, only subtley making the track appear to be panned to the extreme left and right, knamean?

This 3rd trk I put underneath the other 2, by like 9 to 10dbs.

I pan the leads and the adlibs away from eachother slightly, like 7pts. alternating on each verse, while the "delay" track sits right in the middle, almost unoticably quiet, yet subtly there.

If you've ever "generated" your own adlibs, (copying the phrase, or trk, and moving slightly over in your Multi Track, You could how another track can give reverb, even a flange kinda if synced up.

Try Delaying a copy of the Lead Vox, with the Left and Right Delays off by no more than 5 ms, cutt some low end out of it, and drop it into the mix.</quote>

If u wuz usin a Astatic D104 lollipop mic with a very weak batt. u wouldnt have to do all this it would be doin it autamatic.....

:cool:

Back