Straw and Dirt

Hey dude, this is cool. The vox is pretty cool. The backup vox are pretty cool. The guitars flange sounds like it would have fit little more with just little less FX. But it's all cool. The solos with the doubled sounds are really nice. Very country there. :)

The guitar tone is not doing it for me. I'm trying to figure out an alternative, but I'm not getting any ideas right now. Now it does sound good on the doubles/chorus' and lead parts but on the verses it just chugs too much. Perhaps another instrument - like a keyboard - not sure. The song is very good and you do it very well though....are you paying royalties to Chris and Jamie yet? :D

:D:):D:)

Man, I love your singing. Very deep & warm & resonant. Wish I had those pipes! If I had to guess at what folks are hearing in the guitar, I'd guess it's got a stereo effect on it, but it's recorded in mono. I'd try either recording the FX in stereo, or double tracking the guitar dry and adding some FX to the pair of tracks. It just sounds like a smashed flange and/or chorus that needs to open up.

Great job!

The guitar tone is not doing it for me. I'm trying to figure out an alternative, but I'm not getting any ideas right now. Now it does sound good on the doubles/chorus' and lead parts but on the verses it just chugs too much. Perhaps another instrument - like a keyboard - not sure. The song is very good and you do it very well though....are you paying royalties to Chris and Jamie yet? :D

:D:):D:)

Man, I love your singing. Very deep & warm & resonant. Wish I had those pipes! If I had to guess at what folks are hearing in the guitar, I'd guess it's got a stereo effect on it, but it's recorded in mono. I'd try either recording the FX in stereo, or double tracking the guitar dry and adding some FX to the pair of tracks. It just sounds like a smashed flange and/or chorus that needs to open up.

Great job!
There are actually 4 guitar parts there......I may however go back and kill the guitar during the verse with some organ.

Thanks for the comments....that's why we're here.

I've really been meaning to get to this ... but I'm not on an appropriate listening system.

I find Chris ... wait, I totally mean Jaimee to be an incredibly talented writer. I mean that. She's got the "knack" ... and I look forward to seeing what she does as she matures in her writing. She was born with the performing skills.

Chris is a hack, but he does know how to associate with talent ... even if he totally relies on his wife's genes to provide it.

(I kid ... Chris' song about changing the Xmas date is still on my kids' ipod ten years later)

I'll be back in the morning to listen.

Best,

Kev-

I've really been meaning to get to this ... but I'm not on an appropriate listening system.

I find Chris ... wait, I totally mean Jaimee to be an incredibly talented writer. I mean that. She's got the "knack" ... and I look forward to seeing what she does as she matures in her writing. She was born with the performing skills.

Chris is a hack, but he does know how to associate with talent ... even if he totally relies on his wife's genes to provide it.

(I kid ... Chris' song about changing the Xmas date is still on my kids' ipod ten years later)

I'll be back in the morning to listen.

Best,

Kev-
Don't expect anything remotely close to Jamies version.....and we all know what a hack I am too:D

I have to be honest I like everything but the guitar - it sounds like an old turbo distortion effect. I think the song calls for some distortion but more like early tube break up.
Terrific vox.
The arrangements are spot on - just the guitar tone.

I have to be honest I like everything but the guitar - it sounds like an old turbo distortion effect. I think the song calls for some distortion but more like early tube break up.
Terrific vox.
The arrangements are spot on - just the guitar tone.
Thanks Ray!

great pick for a remake. this is probably my fave by them.

i'm in agreement w/ everyone else on the guitar tone. too...digitechy? :p

seriously, though--they just sound thin and brittle. you definitely need more warmth there. after all, it's a warm song. i'm liking your organ idea too.

otherwise it's solid. the backing vocals are especially nicely done--lots of air in there, the mix is excellent. and i too am liking the harmonized gits.

nice work jp! :)

ps: is it july yet? :mad:

great pick for a remake. this is probably my fave by them.

i'm in agreement w/ everyone else on the guitar tone. too...digitechy? :p

seriously, though--they just sound thin and brittle. you definitely need more warmth there. after all, it's a warm song. i'm liking your organ idea too.

otherwise it's solid. the backing vocals are especially nicely done--lots of air in there, the mix is excellent. and i too am liking the harmonized gits.

nice work jp! :)

ps: is it july yet? :mad:
yeah...its digitechy...trying out the new pedal....still trying to find something I like. Modelers suck!

And no...its not july yet but, thanks for the comments and i will try to fix things when I get the time.

Finally got a chance to listen, Jay.

There's good stuff and not so good stuff to like here.

First I'd like to say, I'm a big fan of loud ... but this is LOUD ... flattened out loud ... so I'd pull down the levels and see if you can't get a bit more space around the whole thing by backing off the limiting a bit.

Secondly, speaking of space ... that snare is as dry as unbuttered toast ... and it needs to be put in a place instead of the empty vacuum of outer space ... wait, if there's no air in outer space, then nothing makes noise ... so scratch that ... but do add some space and depth to it ... it sounds unnatural.

I don't mind the git tone so much, but it's too thin and centered for my liking ... so I suggest this:

Copy the track and pan one side full left, the other side full right. Apply completely different effects and EQ treatment to BOTH channels. For instance ... hit the left side w/ a delay and the right side w/ a chorus or flange or modulator or anything ... boost the low end (low end of an elec git will hit in the 250-500k range) of the left side's low end and roll the high end off. On the right side, scoop the low mid frequencies w/ a wide side Q, but softly hit the high mids will a slight boost ...

... you'll need to play with it and experiment w/ the settings to suit your taste ... but remember ... if the gits start to stomp on the nice bgvs you've got going, then soften up the high mid treatment.

What you're going for in the guitars is a nice interesting wide guitar sound ... ... and remember to move the effects pans left and right to see how things blend and sound ... you want to achieve an aural signature sound w/ it.

Experimenting w/ the sound is part of the fun of mixing!

I liked the bgvs ... but I'd bring up some of your chest frequencies (look again 100-400hz) and cut some of the nasally ones (2-5khz)... you've got a nice low tone, but you're not hitting your sweet freqs in it to show it off.

You've got a good start here ... as the material is solid ... but the mix still needs some TLC.

K-

Back