Strat XII-style neck on acoustic kit?

Unsprung

Long story short, here, my left thumb was crushed at work back in mid-July, except I worked 3 weeks like that, thinking I'd just bruised the bone (based on past experience with bruised bones). Given that, the bone healed in a non-anatomical position, and while I can still deal with playing my electrics and my acoustic-6, I'm having a rough time with my acoustic/electric 12-string. Since the Stratocaster XII neck would be about the same as a regular 6-string one, but with the "hockey stick" 12-hole headstock, I'm wondering if a reproduction such as from Warmouth would work on an acoustic guitar kit? Otherwise, I'd have to hope that taking my 12-string to a luthier/tech for adjustment (string height above the frets) and a lighter string set would work.

Matt

I'm not sure how you would *easily* attach a replacement electric neck to an acoustic, unless the acoustic had a bolt on neck to start with - or does it? If it doesn't you'll have a bit of a drama getting things right and you'd need some nifty tools to do it.

I'd go for a good setup and lighter strings. Shaving down your neck is also an option, albeit perhaps too drastic if you're very attached to the instrument (I'm guessing you're not if you're considering swapping necks).

I'm not sure how you would *easily* attach a replacement electric neck to an acoustic, unless the acoustic had a bolt on neck to start with - or does it? If it doesn't you'll have a bit of a drama getting things right and you'd need some nifty tools to do it.

I'd go for a good setup and lighter strings. Shaving down your neck is also an option, albeit perhaps too drastic if you're very attached to the instrument (I'm guessing you're not if you're considering swapping necks).

I guess another option would be to search for a replacement acoustic/electric 12-string that I can deal with, given my handicap. I'm only considering the Strat style neck as a replacement for a guitar kit, if such will work. If I do find another 12-string that I can play, I'll probably sell the one I've got.

Matt

It will not work - they attach in completely different ways, and very few acoustics have the same scale. If you want a smaller 12 string neck, you will need to get it in a custom made guitar.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back