Strat Tremelo

Thanks for your input Light. I'm hoping it will be better than the one that came in my Squire.

Anybody ever retrofit a Floyd Rose on a Strat? It uses a two point system, and mine is a six point mount. Looks like a lot of work to retrofit.

Twist

Twist, all you need is a drill press to put the Floyd on that axe. You might want to look into the Wilkinson trem with the piezo pickups in the saddles. This way you get an acoustic (sort of) and an electric. If you use a stereo jack and a stereo volume pedal, you can "swivel" between acooustic and electric, or anywhere in between. Kinda nifty!
Stack

It takes a lot more than a drill press to install a Floyd Rose right. It takes a very accurate ruler (a tape measure will not do), and it takes skill and practice. If you are going to do it, get it done professionally, but I would suggest not doing it.

The idea behind the two point systems (such as a Floyd) is that they reduce the friction in the system. Reducing the friction means it will come to a more consistent "zero" point, so the tuning will be more stable. It works, too, but there are trade offs. There is less contact with the body, which means there is some lose of tone and sustain. If you are doing anything less than major dive-bombing with your trem, I would advise against it.

The Grover is going to be better than the stock trem on your Squire. Think about it, the Grover costs about a quarter to half of the cost of your guitar, it would be hard to match that quality with the stock part. If you want the best possible part, though, I think you can not beat the quality of Gotoh's 510 line. The 510FT-2 should be a drop in replacement for your Squire, and is readily available through Allparts. They have (I believe, I am not at the shop with the catalog) others which are also direct replacements, but I know the FT-2 would work, as long as the Squire does not use a different spacing than the Fenders.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Thanks Light. I believe you are correct. I've searched the web high and low, and can find no info on the Grover bridge however.
I do have some faith in the name "Grover" but I was a little surprised that it sold on e-bay for only $13! Wilkinson makes some that are reasonable, and the original Fender is not bad either. The Gotoh looks nice, but a little more than I planned to spend.

Twist

I would never put a floyd on a strat. If I wanted a guitar with a floyd on it I would buy one set up like that already.

The stock fender tremelo is great IMO.

RattleCat said:
Fender owns Floyd Rose.

Yes, but you will notice they do not put them on most of the Strats they make. In fact they only put Floyds on a few of the models.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Yes...they have an established market. I am no expert, but common sense tells me that the standard tremelo is probably cheaper for them to produce in mass quantities. Fender bought Floyd Rose because it was a profitable move as well and it will cost you more to get a Floyd Rose on the same guitar...I'm guessing.

Twist is asking about alternative bridges which makes me think he is already dissatisfied with the stock bridge. I would suggest trying a Floyd as opposed to another bridge of the same style. The difference will mostly be in your head. I myself do not care for a floating system, but like the advantages of a Floyd. So I seek a hybrid design that offers a Floyd Rose mounted like a standard trem against the body. Basically Twist...what you like is more important than anything. To me there is no magic, it is wood and metal, glued and bolted together in a big factory. As usual...it boils down to what you can afford. So go sit in a shop and play their guitars all day...lol...and find out what you like.
Hey Light....Minneapolis myself here

twist said:
Thanks for your input Light. I'm hoping it will be better than the one that came in my Squire.

Anybody ever retrofit a Floyd Rose on a Strat? It uses a two point system, and mine is a six point mount. Looks like a lot of work to retrofit.

Twist

anything is better then than which comes with a squier.

caligula.

Thanks for all the input guys. I got an original Fender 6 point off E-bay, but it's not here yet.

Twist

Back