Strat pickups

David M

I wanted to see if you guys could give me some advice or input on pickups. I have two Fender strats. I have one set up with Texas Special pickups, which have a nice heavy blues tone. Id like to get something a little more hard rock sounding for the other strat so I could get a tone more like old Iron Maiden and the like. But if possible I’d like to stick with a single coil sized pickup so I don’t have to modify the guitar too much. Anyone have any suggestions on a good pick up to fit that description?

I use EMGs in my strat... I forget the model, I think the single coil is an '89, may be wrong though.

Fantastic distorted tone, really cutting, sounds like what you're after - if you do put EMGs in though, wave goodbye to your clean sound!!!

David M said:
I wanted to see if you guys could give me some advice or input on pickups. I have two Fender strats. I have one set up with Texas Special pickups, which have a nice heavy blues tone. Id like to get something a little more hard rock sounding for the other strat so I could get a tone more like old Iron Maiden and the like. But if possible I’d like to stick with a single coil sized pickup so I don’t have to modify the guitar too much. Anyone have any suggestions on a good pick up to fit that description?

Look here (you may need to register):
http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&message_area_number=32

Check out www.dimarzio.com

Click on "Strat" and then I would click on Noise Canceling pups...

Then they will list all the different options that they make.
I just read a review on the Area 58 & Area 61 in Guitar World and they said that they were very good Pups. Also, literally no noise. Even less noise than the humbuckers...

EMG are also another possible good option. I have EMG humbuckers and love 'em, I wonder how thier single coils are...

I'm rolling with lace sensors, the blue bridge in my strat gives me about the same character as the dimarzio super dist in the bridge of my mustang, a little more high end maybee but I'm almost inclined to say thats because mustangs arent as crips as strats ;)

Which Lace Sensor do you have? I had the Golds in my 89 strat but replaced them with Texas Special pickups. IMHO the Lace Sensor Gold are really only good for a clean sound. I never liked the way the sounded with distortion.

I am thinking of trying the Seymour Duncan SHR1 Hot Rails Pickup. Anyone using those?

David M said:
Which Lace Sensor do you have? I had the Golds in my 89 strat but replaced them with Texas Special pickups. IMHO the Lace Sensor Gold are really only good for a clean sound. I never liked the way the sounded with distortion.

I am thinking of trying the Seymour Duncan SHR1 Hot Rails Pickup. Anyone using those?
Hot Rails pickups are very beefy. I have 2 of them and a JB in my strat. For an old Iron Maiden type of tone the JB jr. would be a good choice.

David M said:

if ya go with the hot rails be sure you have pickups with equil output or when you switch pickups there will be a big diffrence in volumes I had a hot rails in a strat once it was a shred pickup from hell but... it was almost too much... The hot rails seemed to be a one trick pony to me,(just my opinon though) if you are going for just an 80's hair metal Motley Crue sound then a hot rails is cool but if you want to scream with some tone ala jeff beck or david gilmore then the jbjr is probably a better choice

gremlin said:
if ya go with the hot rails be sure you have pickups with equil output or when you switch pickups there will be a big diffrence in volumes I had a hot rails in a strat once it was a shred pickup from hell but... it was almost too much... The hot rails seemed to be a one trick pony to me,(just my opinon though) if you are going for just an 80's hair metal Motley Crue sound then a hot rails is cool but if you want to scream with some tone ala jeff beck or david gilmore then the jbjr is probably a better choice

Na' I have my other state for the Jeff Beck/David Gilmore type sound. The other one has Texas Specials.

Back