Strat + Marshall + SM57 - did I capture it well?

I like mids in my tones, but that seems a bit midrangey to me for a Marshall, especially with a Strat.

Where's that bell-like sparkle?

What did you record it with (after the 57)?

Man, I'll warn you right off the bat that I'm about the LAST person on the planet that you wanna' be taking any "tone" tips from...listen to the mbrane guy for that.

I wanted to post to say that the guitar hardly sounds like a strat to me at all...which is weird...it almost sounds more like a hollow-bodied Gibson...well, some of the higher stuff has the strat in it...I guess this is just a guitar/amp combo I'm not used to hearing.

At any rate, you've got chops, lol...and I always enjoy that.

All I can add is that nothing about the tone was offensive to my ears (a big first hurdle that I seem to constantly trip over)...I would have like more sustain, which requires more disortion, I suppose...lol. Okay, end of uselessly boring post right HERE.

Good comments, thank you.

The strat used was a Lonestar Strat with a Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge position. This is more than likely the reason for the not-so-classic strat sound.

Thanks for the mids comment...you are spot on, as I usually boost the mids slightly on the guitars. Also, the speaker used (Celestion G12H30) are midrangey as opposed to most of the "scooped mids" speakers in use today.

The SM57 went into a Mackie 1642 VLZ Pro with XDR preamps and then into the computer.

its hard to comment on the sound unless one knows the sound you are after......

its sounds recorded well enuff to me, but personally for that style of playing i like a more Strat-like tone, maybe use the neck pickup...this sounds like the bridge pickup was used....

overall, good stuff...works for me if thats the sound youre after....

ajgrossman said:
Good comments, thank you.

The strat used was a Lonestar Strat with a Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge position. This is more than likely the reason for the not-so-classic strat sound.

Thanks for the mids comment...you are spot on, as I usually boost the mids slightly on the guitars. Also, the speaker used (Celestion G12H30) are midrangey as opposed to most of the "scooped mids" speakers in use today.

The SM57 went into a Mackie 1642 VLZ Pro with XDR preamps and then into the computer.

Ah, I didn't think that sounded like a single coil. I had a JB in one of my V's for a while. It was OK, but I replaced it with an EMG 89. I like it much better now.;)

I use the G1230's in all my 12" cabs too (not sure if they're the "H" model- they're all the newer ones) and like 'em a lot.

I usually run my JCM800 pretty close to flat on the tone controls, and never run the preamp over 7. It sounds too "cheap" and feels too constipated with the pre full-up. It sounds great with the master full-up, but there ain't many places you can do that even with a 50 watter.;)

Watch the gain on the Mackie pres. They run out of headroom real fast.

Back