Strangeness when making cds of my music

achase4u

I use reaper to record the tunes Im doing this holiday season.

I mix down to 24 bit wav files, they are at 2116 kbits whatever that means.

They sound just fine. Strangely, they wont play in windows media player(the latest one)

Also - when I burn them, whether its with Nero or itunes, I get certain tracks skipping.

Im burning them onto 80 minute memorex CD-r's

I dont know whats causing it - is it my cds? mixing? Burning programs?

when you are exporting your mixdown make sure there is somesort of dithering being done. Files on cd's need to be 16 bit so the dither will convert it from 24 bit while compensating for the lost 8 bits
hope this helps

should I just click 16 bit depth on mixdown instead of 24?

Or should I leave it on 24, and check dither?

I've noticed similar things happening with Reaper. I think something's a little wonky about their WAV files.

I always do a final mastering pass over my tracks in Audacity before I consider them done. (Basically, I keep the master mix a little quiet in Reaper; then I max the volume with audacity). Audacity doesn't have those problems (instead it has other issues :D ).

Hmmm... Perhaps I should have qualified my statement with "in my experience" then! :D

But that addresses my general take on recording software. Instead of buying one expensive program to do everything, I have a variety of cheap tools to handle different parts of the process.

Back