Strange Voices?

D28Flatpickr

OK,

Here is your fun post of the day:
I'm all prepared for all of the insults, being called nuts, wacko, crazy, crackpot, etc.:)

I was recording an acoustic guitar break on a separate track the other day and when I played everything back - I heard strange sounds that I thought were missed notes in the part. I solo'd the track muted all other tracks and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like a little girl or young women asking " Who are you" in several places on the track.

I was home alone, not smoking, trippin, or drinking. I live in a brick house in the middle of two acres - so I can rule out the neighbors. I checked for creaking chairs, and doors.

It's possible that it is string/fret noise.......bird outside......

So, I recorded a new version of the part and the "voice" was there again but not as frequent or in the same places. I'm going to try again with a different guitar and a different brand of strings to see if the "voice" goes away. Strange. I have never experienced this before.

I have heard of dis-embodied voices of ghosts being recorded - Si-Fi's Ghost Hunters - but I remain skeptical.

Have any of you ever captured any unexplained voices on tape of digital audio? Did you ever figure out the source?

I hear voices all the time. They keep me company. :D

I dunno man....kinda weird.

Maybe picking up a radio or cel phone signal.
???

(enter theme from The Twilight Zone...do do do doo...)

sounds like ghosts trying to speak out through white noise from the other side.the creepy part about it is when this happens it's usually malevolent in nature.don't answer them.they want to steal your soul.

maybe not but i couldn't resist messing with you!

Yeah, post a clip of the voices. Sounds like a pretty clear cut case of you be crazy... or EVPs... electro voice phenomenon. Very popular among ghost hunters.

OK,

Here is your fun post of the day:
I'm all prepared for all of the insults, being called nuts, wacko, crazy, crackpot, etc.:)

I was recording an acoustic guitar break on a separate track the other day and when I played everything back - I heard strange sounds that I thought were missed notes in the part. I solo'd the track muted all other tracks and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like a little girl or young women asking " Who are you" in several places on the track.

I was home alone, not smoking, trippin, or drinking. I live in a brick house in the middle of two acres - so I can rule out the neighbors. I checked for creaking chairs, and doors.

It's possible that it is string/fret noise.......bird outside......

So, I recorded a new version of the part and the "voice" was there again but not as frequent or in the same places. I'm going to try again with a different guitar and a different brand of strings to see if the "voice" goes away. Strange. I have never experienced this before.

I have heard of dis-embodied voices of ghosts being recorded - Si-Fi's Ghost Hunters - but I remain skeptical.

Have any of you ever captured any unexplained voices on tape of digital audio? Did you ever figure out the source?

You've got RFI coming in from somewhere.

EVPs... electro voice phenomenon. Very popular among ghost hunters.
Yeah, but then again so are out-of-focus photos of rain drops/water droplets that are then called "ghostly orbs" .:rolleyes:

"Who are you" sounds like a kid on their dad's CB radio to me. Then again, every time I hear the original version of "Pinball Wizard" I'd swear I hear my mother calling my name halfway through the song.

Which is only one more of many reasons why I hope to never hear "Pinabll Wizard" again :D.

G.

I'll have too admit, the first time I heard the voice thru the headphones it freaked me out a bit. That's why I started to try and debunk it right away. I've heard RFI coming thru single coils, stomp box and an old amp plenty of times, but I've never experienced it with an acoustic guitar and a decent mic.

I guess the ol' FCC rules about "this device must receive interference" apply.

That fact that it occurred on two different days is puzzling and leads me to believe it is performance related i.e humming and not realizing it, squeaky chair, string cross talk, fret noise etc.

I'll set up and record the part again in few days with the same instrument and with a different instrument and post any new conversations with the dead:o.

I'll set up and record the part again in few days with the same instrument and with a different instrument and post any new conversations with the dead:o.

Assuming the ghosts let you live that long... :D

Seriously, assuming it's crosstalk from a CB, etc. what sort of things could you do to eliminate the interference? Heavier shielded mic/patch cables?

I'll have too admit, the first time I heard the voice thru the headphones it freaked me out a bit. That's why I started to try and debunk it right away. I've heard RFI coming thru single coils, stomp box and an old amp plenty of times, but I've never experienced it with an acoustic guitar and a decent mic.

That fact that it occurred on two different days is puzzling and leads me to believe it is performance related i.e humming and not realizing it, squeaky chair, string cross talk, fret noise etc.

Listen with nothing @ the input. If not present, add the mic. If it occurs after that, try a different cable. You might also try another mic, if you have one. If it is climbing up the mic/cable path, try pointing the mic in a different direction to see if you can find the null. Another "fix" is to wrap both mic cable ends around toroid doughnuts. Inconvenient but known to work.

I don't know if anyone actually listened to the posted clips. Sounds to me like a chair moving, or a "squeaky" floor. It BARELY sounds like "Who are you", but I guess it can sound like that if you want it to.

Seriously, assuming it's crosstalk from a CB, etc. what sort of things could you do to eliminate the interference? Heavier shielded mic/patch cables?
If it's coming from the cable itself (no guarantees that's the case), I'd make sure that the cable is balanced (and running balanced all the way from connector to connector), and running to a balanced input (also that the mic provides a balanced output). If all that fails, try a new cable.

If the cable is in the 18'-20' range in length, I'd change that length; 18' is just about the right length for a dipole antenna at standard CB frequencies. Shortening or lengthening it by 5-10 feet can make a big difference.

Also, changing the orientation of the cable can sometimes make all the difference in the world. If you're running it east/west, try setting up so that it's running more north/south. Similarly, sometimes just moving the rest of your gear to a different location or orientation can help.

If none of that works, and if it's a neighbor causing the interference, he may be overmodulating his signal. If he has a powered microphone, ask him if he can turn his mic gain down a notch or two. If he is running an illegal linear signal amplifier, tell him he needs to make some plate and load adjustments because he's bleeding all over the place.

G.

Now that I've listened to it, it doesn't sound like RFI or any kind of interference at all. It sounds like you grunted a few times and breathed rather heavily while cutting that track.

It sounds like some kind of sympathetic resonance. One part is in time with the notes being played.

Hmmm, I only listened to the Full Tempo example. There is one part that a female-like voice says "who" and another part later where the same voice does sound like it's saying "who are you"... although in a muffled, sock-in-mouth with a tape over it type of way...

Uhhhh... you are not hiding anyone in the basement are you? :D

listened to the samples & i don't think it sounds like a ghost.it's more of a grunting like Rruskin said.you should grab a really big stick & check under the nearest bridge.sounds like you got a troll problem.

As others have said, it sounds like you are grunting or sub-vocalizing. Record again with the mic up close to your throat.

Back