Strange Thing Happened In Reaper

Ed Fones

Made a recording and renamed the wave file appropriately. Then transferred to card via usb to use on another pc. When opening in other pc I have the original wave file and the renamed on there along with associated Reaper files. Both wave files are exactly the same size in mb's. Just identical except for name. Except when I try to play the files in Reaper or a player. The renamed file is blank even though exactly the same mb size.

Now when shutting down I renamed the original file and not duplicated it, so why I end up with 2 files is a mystery, though I am glad and didnt lose recording. But why is the renamed file blank? This has happened twice now.

What happens when you double click the .wav file? Does it play with your media player?

"Made a recording and renamed the wave file appropriately" - did you render to WAV? Reaper track files are not WAV, and there are two - the audio info and the 'peaks' file.

No mike this is a wave file. It was just renamed after its recording. But for some reason and luckily it copied but with the new name. Same size in mb's but blank. Which is insane.

Why did you rename the wave file. I would think that would break the associations in the .RPP file, which is where the settings and track "names" would be held.

Rich, because when you have made several recordings, it gets confusing when you are dealing with numbered wave files. So I renamed for simple ID. Instead of ...........01-23456-3351.wav ..........I then have .........Julies Party Raw 1.wav

Are you sure you are working with the actual track file, and not the peaks file? The peaks file has a '.wav' showing in the file name when looking at it in Explorer, but has an extension (.reapeaks) which can't be seen.

Positive Mike. You cannot open a reaper file in Windows player. Only a wav or MP3 file.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'you cannot open a reaper file in Windows player'. What type of file are you referrring to? There are four types of Reaper files: the project file (.RPP), its backup file (.BAK), peak files (.Reapeak), and finally the audio files which are not really Reaper-specific, but can be WAV, MP3 or whatever you have set them to in Reaper.

None of the first three (RPP, BAK or Reapeak) can be opened in a Windows player, and nor should they be.

If you can't load a WAV, MP3 or other type of audio file in a Windows player, then that has nothing to do with Reaper itself, but is more to do with the attributes of the file. For example, I have an old version of Soundforge that won't load 24bit WAVs.

Are you renaming the files using Reaper's Media Item Properties dialog (F2)? If you use that then Reaper will automatically use the new name in the project. If you rename the file outside Reaper you have to manually change the file that Reaper points to in the project.

Back