"Strange Sinner" - comments welcome

Hi alibish:

I started out streaming this song and after 30 seconds I shut it off and went back and downloaded it cause it's a great song and a great recording.
My only bitch would be that I want to hear a more defined bass sound.
Excellent work here, my hats off to you.

Really really really nice tune. I love that kick sample...

Keep in mind that I expected this to be good, so I'll get really picky. The clean rhythm guitar sounds great in the intro and outro, but I'm losing it more in the mix when the bass comes in, which might be related to Hevy's comment about the bass sound (lack of definition). If you haven't done it, you might just TRY eq'ing a little more low end off of the guitars during the majority of the song (i.e., when bass and drums are in), and it might allow you to squeeze a couple more dbs out of the bass, which would give the effect of more definition to the bass without eating up all of your headroom in the low mids.

There's also a slight buildup in the mids on the vocals when they're layered...scoop the bg vox some maybe, I dunno'...it's really good as is though.

Like I said, I'm being picky.

What exactly is a "Focker?" lmao.

Good to see you. If you haven't been over there yet, you might post this at the site represented in my avatar, lol. Little spam for RP there. :D

AB,
Great sounding song.

These are a few things I picked up on when listening to it :

The two main guitars (left and right) should have slightly less bottom end to them. It sounds slightly boomy in the mix and fills up some oof the space where you would hear the bass guitar.

The bass guitar is partly obscured by the guitars, but it's also not prominent enough. It should be up with the kick in terms of level.

The hi-hat pattern at times is a bit unrealistic, which is a shame because the sound is good as are the snare and kick sounds. I can't say what should be played because I'm not a drummer and haven't programmed drums for about 5 years. I just know from playing in bands for the last 17 years and recording them for the last 6 that it doesn't sound right.

The vocals have a slightly nasal sound which could be reduced with a bit of eq to smooth the sound slightly.

The backing vocals could probably be moved slightly further back in the mix and eq'd to not conflict with the main vocals so much.

Other than those minor points a very good song and a very good recording.

Pete.

i'm only listening through computer speakers, but i thought it sounded really awesome. i wish my recordings were of that quality.

Very nice. A tiny shot of verb (that you can`t really hear) on the whole thing would give it some aura and a bit of depth around it for me, but it`s very nice as is.

HevyD47Ca - thank you very much - that was a really kind comment. :) And I agree about the bass.

chrisharris - thank you very much. I agree with everything you said. It was bound to happen eventually... ;)

Peter Lancaster - wow, great post! I agree re the guitars - I'll cut a bit of low end.

Ditto re the bass - I think I'm struggling a bit with the low end on my monitors, so I'm never very sure I've got it right.

Hihats - yep, it sounds naff. I'll fix it.

Vocals - I actually bumped the main vocal at 1kHz to push it forward - looks like I overdid it...

BVs - yep, I'll cut a bit of top-end off them, and add a touch of reverb.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help - really good ideas! Glad you liked the song too.

donkeystyle - Thank you very much for the kind words. :)

Toki987 - always great to hear from you. Believe it or not, I actually FORGOT to put reverb on this one. Oops. I'll fix it in the next mix.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments and suggestions. I'll post a new mix in the next couple of days.

Cheers

AB

You know, you're not really living up to your user name. Can't you at least try to be a little more biting? ;)

Hey Al

Great song. When am I going to see your stuff in the CD racks at my local Indie Record shop :cool:

the_supercritic - thank you very much!

Mark7 - thank you for your kind words. Glad you liked it.

Peter Lancaster - the new mix is up, at the same link as above.

I'd be really grateful for your thoughts.

Cheers

AB

PS I'll comment on your song in your thread.

Back