strange buzzy noise problem mic input cable adaptor I dunno

AbuseTheMuses

I am using a Tascam DP01 recorder. It has 2 inputs, both are XLR or TR/TRS, one has a switchable 'guitar' setting for the 1/4". Both have 'gain' control. I am using 2 mics, 1 is a condenser that uses the phantom power I need to switch on, provided with the recorder. I have only 1 XLR male to XLR female cable and a few XLR to TRS. I use the XLR-XLR for the condenser mic and it has no problems at all. I use the XLR-TRS for the dynamic. I have tried both my dynamic mics, and switching cables but the XLR-TRS cable's input keeps getting an intermittent hissy buzzy noise popping in and out (sounds like wierd intermittent circuity sound) when I turn the gain on that input channel up past a certain point, and the mic always sounds like it's slightly distorted even though I don't sing particularly loud. I know it's not that great a mic (either my 'main' or my backup) but I never had problems going into other mixers or PAs with either one.

Is this because of the phantom power on the condenser mic screwing with the dynamic mic? The DP01 just has 1 phantom power switch that I assume applies to both inputs. Is it because of the XLR-TRS cable confusing it? I don't know anything about electronics. I am wondering if it is a problem with the recorder, the cable, the phantom power. I dunno. Has anybody any insight?

Back