Strange audio issue.

openminded

Hi everybody!

So I recently just upgraded my old Sony ECM-DS70P microphone to a Blue Yeti. I record videos with the DS70P plugged directly into my camera and me being a few inches away speaking. The setup I have now is the same just with the Yeti plugged in my PC.

The problem is, I can't seem to get that same airy sound as I did with the DS70P. Everything sounds very stuffy. It doesn't sound as vibrant as it did with my Sony. What tweaks/tips can I use to make it sound more open and crisp?

I attached an MP3 showing this. The first clip is from the Sony and the second is from the Yeti.

Example MP3
test.MP3

Thank you for reading. :)

Second clip sounds better to me. More up front. The first clip has too much "air" and room in it and the second sounds like it has a bit of proximity effect that is lacking in the first clip, and less room.

The Yeti sounds more "broadcast" than the Sony to my ears.

You might try the omni setting but then you are going to get more of the room into your takes.

Personally I'd stick with the cardioid setting.

Last edited:
Second clip sounds better to me. More up front. The first clip has too much "air" and room in it and the second sounds like it has a bit of proximity effect that is lacking in the first clip, and less room.

The Yeti sounds more "broadcast" than the Sony to my ears.

You might try the omni setting but then you are going to get more of the room into your takes.

Personally I'd stick with the cardioid setting.

The reason I want the "Air/room" feel is to provide a sense of presence. When I'm recording a video with the Yeti's audio, it sounds very disconnected. Like I'm in a sound booth even though I'm directly in front of the mic.
It doesn't fit at all and doesn't give the feeling of actually being there like the Sony.

I think what you're experiencing is based more on your being conditioned to the sound of the Sony.

Try backing off the Yeti (like a foot or so) or using omni. Backing off will lessen the proximity effect.

As said, most people would probably prefer the dryer more upfront sound, but if you want air or space in the sound, just move back a foot.

Back