Straight to hard drive- no computer

boingoman

There is a unit out there by Gemini called the IKEY, it will write stereo PCM audio files directly to a hard drive, flash card, or iPod, no computer involved.

It has some pretty serious issues, and is basically unsuitable for any kind of real recording. Shitty converters, no headroom, poor construction, etc.

Is there a "real" version of this thing out there anywhere? I have a decent interface with firewire, it would be great to plug it into a hard drive and a simple controller box. My laptop is otherwise occupied. :(

Maybe I'm missing something, but there a lot of portable USB/Flash/hard disk recorders out on the market now. Plus there's always an Alesis Masterlink.

I don't think there's anything like that out there you can plug a firewire interface directly into via firewire, but if your interface has stand alone operation, then you can use that and connect it to the recorder via an analog connection.

I sometimes use my MOTU 828mkII to a Hi-MD (via toslink connection, no computer involved). Those use 1 GB discs with 94 minutes of PCM recording capability.

Also, the Marantz PMD660 is a pretty neat little recorder I've used on occasion. Would this be the kind of thing you're looking for? (I had to look up the model #, that's why I did a second post)

Guys, thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I have definitely thought of an HD24, and I have a Masterlink, which I like a lot.

I'm trying to figure this out for work and personal use. The owner of the club I've been at for awhile has asked me to come up with a way to record shows. The catch is it has to be simple enough that anyone can turn it on, set the levels, and hit record, after the most minimal training. It has to have a fairly large amount of recording time available, figure 30 hours per week of music, that may only get dealt with once a week, maybe less. I'd already been thinking about a device like this, so I thought why not, I'll look around....

The fact that it may get dealt with so infrequently means a need for fast convenient data transfer. Not exactly the Masterlink's strong point. And though the Masterlink is simple to operate for those of us who have been doing this for awhile, it is complex enough to take it out of the user-friendly-for-newbs category.

The Sound Devices 700 series is just about perfect, but it's way too much machine for the club.

Well if you own a Club and want to record some of the Shows why not just connect a CD Burner or Tape recorder to one of the Outputs from the Mixer used for the Show?? Or do you have a small club that doesn"t have a mixer in the Sound System??

There are also some No brainer Software recording programs that anyone can learn in a matter of minutes if you want to go the PC recording route...
Namely the Program I am talking about is "Mackie Traction 2.1" which is unbelievably easy to use....I can set up a Project and arm all of the Tracks and start recording in just a few mouse clicks and in about 15 seconds.....

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

I already have a burner in there, but there are other issues. I am not the owner, just a soundguy. I am looking for a dead-simple solution for capture that can be operated by a monkey. :p No loading programs, or setting up projects, or anything like that. Just set the level, and hit record. Hook it up to a computer later, and edit.

you have a number of different options for fairly cheap..

the marantz units, and the Tascam HD-p2 are probably the easiest. they use compact flash or hard disks..also the edirol r-4 has a HDD and is 4 tracks. analog and digi in..

(tascam has TC chase and generation)

Marantz PMD 660, Marantz PMD 671, EDIROL R-4, Tascam HD-p2, Edirol R-09, Edirol R-01, Fostex FR-2...

my friend doug oade at www.oade.com is a modification Genius(been in the business longer than Jim williams by a sight) and does mods for all of those units...makes them sound worlds better..he will even customize them for different tonal "flavors"based on your reccomendations and needs.

boingoman said:
Guys, thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I have definitely thought of an HD24, and I have a Masterlink, which I like a lot.

I'm trying to figure this out for work and personal use. The owner of the club I've been at for awhile has asked me to come up with a way to record shows. The catch is it has to be simple enough that anyone can turn it on, set the levels, and hit record, after the most minimal training. It has to have a fairly large amount of recording time available, figure 30 hours per week of music, that may only get dealt with once a week, maybe less. I'd already been thinking about a device like this, so I thought why not, I'll look around....

The fact that it may get dealt with so infrequently means a need for fast convenient data transfer. Not exactly the Masterlink's strong point. And though the Masterlink is simple to operate for those of us who have been doing this for awhile, it is complex enough to take it out of the user-friendly-for-newbs category.

The Sound Devices 700 series is just about perfect, but it's way too much machine for the club.

I have to second the idea of recording direct to a CD Recorder. That seems the easiest to me, if it's possible to leave the connections hooked up permantetly, so all one needs to know how to do is operate the CD Recorder. You can even use a DAT (or cassette) for backup. Of course storage space becomes an issue, as you have to have someone watching it who can swap out CDs.

If you don't get into all the editing capabilities, I think the Masterlink is pretty easy to get a handle on. It just takes a little training on creating playlists, how to record new tracks, and then how to burn onto a CD. Plus you can install in permanently in rack, and it won't get lost or "misplaced" as easily as a smaller portable recorder (at least hopefully).

Not only are u gonna have to invent the hardware, but the software too.

If they want you to record tracks directly to a hard drive, then you'll need SOME kind of computer chip to control and instruct the writing.

An Alesis HD24 records directly to hard drive. I use the direct outs (post gain(trim), pre-fader, pre-eq) from my Midas Venice into the Alesis. It records 24 tracks at 24bit at about 14gb per hour. And thats using proprietory file system. Otherwise, the .wav files for each track would be huge. But, because of the special files system, they have to be converted into .wav files when you transfer them to a computer for remixing. And that takes time - I transfer a 24 track 4 minutes song in about 2 minutes with the firewire connector.

Then there's the task of cutting each track into the proper length song. Not to mention listening and mixing each song. It's takes a lot of time to do it. Even more time to do it right. I typically spend an average of 15 minutes a track, times 16 tracks average per song. Thats 4 HOURS per 4 minute song!

You be better off getting some good room mics, finding a good place for them, and recording direct to CD.

michaelst said:
Not only are u gonna have to invent the hardware, but the software too.

If they want you to record tracks directly to a hard drive, then you'll need SOME kind of computer chip to control and instruct the writing.

Found one, and a daughter board that supports it, as well. :)

ps- yeah, the editing etc. takes lots of time, even with just stereo files.

The idea is to keep my end of things (sound) seperate from this whole recording process. I don't want to be a part of it unless I am paid. Anything requiring attention is going to be dumped off on me, and I will be asked to change CDs or cards, arm tracks, etc...no thanks. This will already be taking income from me, I'm not going to do extra work on top of that.

Last edited:
michaelst said:
You be better off getting some good room mics, finding a good place for them, and recording direct to CD.

I think this is definetly the way to go. Have the club invest in a couple mics, a 2-channel pre or rack mixer, and a CD Recorder (or Masterlink if they want more storage space). You can charge them a flat fee to install the system and train someone on how to use it. Then just mark the levels that are generally good, and it's a reletively "set it and forget it" installed system. Depending on the club you could even hang the mics from the ceiling, and they could just sit. And it's totally seperate from what you're doing in terms of sound reinforcement.

RAK said:
I think this is definetly the way to go. Have the club invest in a couple mics, a 2-channel pre or rack mixer, and a CD Recorder (or Masterlink if they want more storage space). You can charge them a flat fee to install the system and train someone on how to use it. Then just mark the levels that are generally good, and it's a reletively "set it and forget it" installed system. Depending on the club you could even hang the mics from the ceiling, and they could just sit.

My personal preference would be an HD24 set to record board feed and room mics, but......... Anyway, the presentation is next week, after that it's up to the owner. I've specced systems for this before, just hoping something new I hadn't heard of had popped up. A good-quality version of that iKey thing would be so nice and so easy......

boingoman said:
My personal preference would be an HD24 set to record board feed and room mics, but.........

I thought you wanted to keep your side of things seperate from the record rig?

RAK said:
I thought you wanted to keep your side of things seperate from the record rig?

Oh, I do. That would just be the way I would do it, given my choice. With a backup or two, as well. Currently, I use my CD burner. This whole thing started when I told him he had to pay for CDs I burn, just like everyone else. He asked how much it would be for him to do what I do and here I am.......

Last edited:
Back