Stooopid question? - Monitors

Lee123

This just maybe the Stoopidist question ever......

I have a pair of M-Audio BX-5's, and wanted to upgrade them to a pair of KRK RP8's,....but I have just noticed that I can pick up a pair of NS-10's off ebay for the same price....hummmm.....what do ya reckon????
Lee

NS-10's are the monitors everyone loves to hate... You can find a gazillion people bitching about them (no bottom, "honky", exaggerated mids, etc.), but those same gazillion all have 'em. Not saying they're bad, just probably wouldn't be my first choice for an upgrade. Needless to say, there's a ton of hits that have been mixed on 'em, so I guess that says something. Look around, there's lots of options out there - all depending on how much $$$ you want to part with.

Most importantly, you should listen to monitors before you buy anything - don't base your purchase solely on the opinions of the people on a BBS or newsgroup.

Bill

vaultstudio said:
Most importantly, you should listen to monitors before you buy anything - don't base your purchase solely on the opinions of the people on a BBS or newsgroup.

Bill

Ha, buy the KRK's the NS-10 suck. do a search and everyone will tell you to go with the KRK's

same issue

Lee123 said:
This just maybe the Stoopidist question ever......
I have a pair of M-Audio BX-5's, and wanted to upgrade them to a pair of KRK RP8's,....but I have just noticed that I can pick up a pair of NS-10's off ebay for the same price....hummmm.....what do ya reckon????
Lee

i hear ya' on the BX5's ...

i went to GC to pick up BX5's. because Wharfs aren't available to demo.
and heard all the great raves...

then i spent three hrs at GC...and thought the BX5's were just crap,
when 1to1 with KRK RP8's or EVENt 8" etc...

BX5's did sound better to me than the KRK4" at twice the price.

read more and the BX5's are supposedly quiet sweeet with the sub.

its like fhkng poker....8" beats the BX5" but BX5" with sub can go lower than the 8" and has a lot of detail in the mid-high....so that beats the KRKRP8".

I don't think mxing with a sub will be easy and am not ready for that
battle? ..........i just want a decent nearfield for a 10x10 drywall studio.

Generally, in my monitor wanderings, I have come to the conclusion that 5 or 6 inch monitors with a sub, provide a better overall picture of the music than 8 inch alone. Until you get up around $1000 then things match up better.

They just finished a three issue shootout of monitors from low end up to a grand in Future Music magazine. Some of the results:

Low End - Yamahas MSP5 overall but for accuracy the BX5s shared the spotlight
Mid range - Samson and another I can't remember.
High End HR824s and Yamaha MSP10

Yup....it's a scary place to be....low to mid price range.....I think I might take home a pair of RP8's, then a week later exchange them for the SBX sub to go with my BX5's and see what I prefer....will let you know...just awaitin on me tax return....phnar....

I guess I'll just jump right on in..I was going to post a similar question and saw this,I too am going with the RP8's,I got them for $420 incl. tax..I guess they'll be in for me to pickup Monday or Tues.I'll be sure an write back what I think of these monitors and if they're worth the coin..I got the RP5's and ended up bringing them back.They sounded decent,they weren't flat,hyped in the low end a bit..They also just weren't what I was looking for I wanted something alot louder.I asked the difference between the RP8's and the V8's and obvioulsy the V8's are MORE $$$ who would have thought?My trustworthy Guitar Center Salesman ensured me that the V8's ARE flat and ALL the RP series ARE a lil hyped in the low end..I was also diggin the Behringer 2030A's epsecially for 200$,I have not heard them only saw but I would have really liked to hear them...Anyone got these?I have read quite alot about their reliability though which I think has kept me @ bay when it comes to anything cheaper..I also considered the Samson Resolves(anyone have these?)Reliability ALSO being an issue....

i chose the RP8's out of all of the GC listening i did the other day too.
price/performance..ears, something i could enjoy living with.

also when my salesman wasn't close buy, i cranked it up...oh yes.
the RP8's started sounding even better, the missing mid (compared to the V8)
started appearing IMO....i know that goes against all theory?
there was some flab going on when the volume increased on some others.
RP8's remained tight and came to life. IMO

of course the V8's and Mackie 8" sounded even better..and >2x $$$.

big test will be if they sound $420 better than my current Ref's. on my turf.

ok.....so my tax return arrived....I IMMEDIATELY made my way to GC to pick up some RP8's. $428 later, I'm ripping the box's open. Before I plugged them in, I had another quick listen to a few mixes through my BX5's.....
Now the RP8's turn.....man they are big.....I press play......OH YEAH BABY.....they sound real sweet. Suddeny I am remixing as my mix sounded horrible. I came back to my mix the next day and I was still impressed. I then listened to my mix through a few other stereo's.....wow.....I think my BX5's will be leaving home soon.....

IMHO, the RP8 give me a real reference to what is going on....no masking, no bias just what you hear is what you have......very transparent mixes. The BX5's would completely mislead me. The BX5's are clear and accurate and would work for detailed mixing or as another point of reference, but as an overall sound, the RP8's are just puuuuurrrfect.

That's enough rambling, I'm off to do a few more mixes.....
Lee.

Well I said would let you guys know what I thought.First off let me tell you guys that the Salesguy @ GC was DEAD wrong in saying that ALL the KRK RP series speakers are hyped in the low end....My friend just couldn't resist a chance at getting to use his 3,300$ RTA(Real Time Analyser)for those of you who don't know what this means you should be slapped.Anyway,I couldn't afford to treat my space with the latest and greatest Auralex stuff just the Mopad for the speakers(of course).So this past weekend I was at my studio hangin foam I had gotten for FREE from work,I only did the wall behind my speakers so far.Now the RTA results...My Buddy Ron's jaw dropped to the floor when it all went down and he couldn't believe what he was seeing on the meters of the RTA,Yup you guessed it FLAT(Pink Noise).I was VERY pleased that of the fact these speakers are flat and also have a VERY musical sound,something thats not usually associated with flat...I could have really cared less BUT i was happy to let him do his lil test...The sound you ask?WOW is all I have to say.Other firends of mine were ALL smiles the first time I lit these up..Needless to say I was/am siked and definitely got the right speakers for what it is that I do..I'm sure most if not all of you can relate when I tell you that I was entangled in a web of reviewers syndrome.It also seems to me that this happens because all of the speakers or whatever it is you're after is not normally stocked @ your local music store.It just goes to show I suppose,do your homework and you will be rewarded..

Rp8

daaang a $3,300 RTA?
he could have bought 10sets of Wharfedales!

thats cool on the room reads. i did a read with a db meter
from crab shack, and it was really interesting.

i think "musical" should come before anything in a monitor as you said.
a good point made..get speakers you like.

they say you have to learn any speaker you buy, so we might
as well learn one you enjoy listening to.

i don't get the subs yet, seems that would be a bitch to mix in as
bass isn't really nearfield at all it's all over the place?
i've a lot to learn at mixing.

Back