Stones - Exile on Main Street - Sweet Virginia VOX

Claytrell

I was listening to this the other day and was really struck by this recording and the sound of the 'room' reverb. I'm a rookie at recording techniques, is there anyone who could give me a ballpark place to start where I might get the feel of the Jagger solo VOX? Or perhaps a resource regarding the production? Thanks mucho.

Fine, make me look it up :rolleyes:
I'd guess something along the sounds along the lines of some rough room effects in there -some fairly strong 'phase tone effects via reflections going on? Go with the sound of some mono delays -60 to 70ms range as a start point for an example.

Some of the room sound might be due to the fact that much of Exile on Main Street was recorded in a French villa, not a "proper" recording studio. Like Deep Purple's Machine Head, and Led Zeppelin 3 and 4, they used the Rolling Stones Mobile Unit. It was quite the popular recording setup back then for bands to lease a nice house and get the RSMU to do the tracking.

Last edited:
Some of the room sound might be due to the fact that much of Exile on Main Street was recorded in a French villa, not a "proper" recording studio. Like Deep Purple's Machine Head, and Led Zeppelin 3 and 4, they used the Rolling Stones Mobile Unit. It was quite the popular recording setup back then for bands to lease a nice house and get the RSMU to do the tracking.
Thanks. You got me to have a listen to the album's other songs. Some of the stuff was apparently partly done or finished 'in a proper studio (name blank here :>) Re the vocals -generally, running typically- on the lowish side in the mix, some (a few?) sounding fairly direct, some with various ambience /FX.
In the less direct/more room sides of it -in general and various amounts; the room -size/reflections, rougher' -rather not 'pretty and smooth'.. Some of it/that, presumably with the tones shifting. (for some of that.. listen for high/low roll offs, 'mids stuff at times..)
In general- Sweet Virginia.. has the 'wettest combo of all it -on it. :>)

The most overrated Stones album imho. Give me Let it Bleed any day. Heck, I'll take Goat's Head Soup over Exile.
Yeah.. First exposure and hearing the album in years, never realized had a.. 'rep.
Completely forgot about this one, think I have it in the drawer.. :>)

Thanks. You got me to have a listen to the album's other songs. Some of the stuff was apparently partly done or finished 'in a proper studio (name blank here :>) Re the vocals -generally, running typically- on the lowish side in the mix, some (a few?) sounding fairly direct, some with various ambience /FX.

Back