Stomp boxes or a multiple effects processor?

Fantastic_Mad

I'm looking at the Boss ME-50 for my guitar setup, I have read some of the reviews on Harmony Central, some people really love it, some hate it. Mainly I'm going for the distortion and modulation effects, I have a Line 6 DL-4, so the delay section isn't important. It has 22 different types of distortion, which caught my attention. Should I buy this or get individual stomp boxes? I'm also interested in chorus and flanger. The ME-50 is $300, would I be sacrificing too much quility with the ME-50 rather than stomp boxes? Has anyone used this? What do you think?
Thanks in advance.

I use boxs myself but the ones I use are all pretty old and they are kinda noisy and when I bought my they were cheap now I think they are much more expensive.I dont mind a little noise and I think analog pedals sound better then digital but fer the price you cant beat all the sounds you can get in a digital processor.If I was to have to buy all new shit I think I would go digital.I couldnt afford to buy all the shit I have now a days and some digital shit sounds pretty good just go to the store and try them out see what ya think

I almost always prefer stomp-boxes or gear that does one thing, and does it well, over multi-boxes. Here's why:

It's easier. No menu scrolling. Just reach out and tweak a knob. Everything's laid out right in front of you all the time.

It sounds better. You can get the exact chorus you want, and the exact OD pedal, adn the exact delay, etc... You don't pay for a great distortion but a chorus that's not so good... In addition you don't pay for many effects you'll never use, like ring modulators and quadruple tap delaying ping pong pitch shifters. (Unless you're Steve Vai....)

If one thing breaks you don't lose your entire rig.

A pedal board with lots of funky pedals and patch chords looks cool.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I have a few stomp's myself...and they're about half way in the trash can.
I'm sure the overall quality is a little better with the box, but all these pedals add more and more noise. So much, that I don't bother recording anything with 'em.

Wish I could save enough money for the digital.

Furthermore, I knew a guy who ran all his through a digital 5 bank pad... but the pad didn't have any effects. The pad just accessed pre-programed settings inside some rack set-up that he had.
I never got the full details of it, or how the hell it works... but it sounded pretty damn nice.

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so... please post some more info!

Thanks

You can do this with any MIDI pedalboard, or something like Line 6's floorboard..

It was most likely a custom piece design for his specific processor.... If it was MIDI, you probably would have heard some wild 'zipper' noises

MrStitch said:
...I knew a guy who ran all his through a digital 5 bank pad... but the pad didn't have any effects. The pad just accessed pre-programed settings inside some rack set-up that he had.

Standard rack unit........nothing special, other than it is better than digital multi boards.

Fantastic_Mad,

You already have the delays......just get a couple boxes you like.
Compressor / Chorus / Distortion / Phaser

stomp-boxes, for sure....

get the sound you want. dial it in and let it rip... don't mess with a multi... unless you're recording.... then they're usefull....
you just don't need to spend hours eqing and leveling all those settings.... unless you really do have that time at practice.

The nice thing about the ME-50 is that everything is configured with nobs, no menus except for recalling saved settings. The functionality is supposed to be like stomp boxes.

Back