Still trying but now confused

I've need a midi cable that goes from my joyport to 2 regular 5 pin midi connectors for the midi in/out ports on my guitar amp. I cut a regular 5 pin midi cord in half and whoa, two wires wrapped with a ground. I assumed there'd be 5 wires. 1 send and 1 return? What's up with the ground, does the cord I cut off my old joystick (15 wires) use one wire for ground? I planned to hit and miss the connections till I got a signal from pc to amp (or amp to pc) but the ground connection has me nervous. Anybody understand these cords? I went to Radio Shack and called every pc store in my tiny little southern town but they didn't carry anything. Please, please, please help me! I need this to update my amps software and fix some bugs. It will also allow me to store and move my user patches as well as upload some I found on the net. Thanks for your help. Getting pretty desperate here.

Thanks man, that tells me a lot! I found it interesting that the midi out page config showed pin 2 as a ground but the midi in page showed pin 2 as unconnected. Must be a typo.

I drove 45 minutes to Best Buy (in the big city) and had an interesting experience which culminated in me getting a free cord. Hooked it up and soon had my amp's software upgraded and a few test runs on preset storage. My life is saved! These things are generally held to be common items but my experiences lately have led me to believe otherwise. Thanks to you, Emeric, I will never have to be without one again. Thanks!
p.s. I've been meaning to ask you if it's cool to submit my Laze mp3 (with your bass line) for the comp. cd. I've begun re-recording the guitar lines and am going to do a much better mix. Thanks again man!

Back