Still sounding homemade . . thoughts?

Thanks !!!

Thanks to ALL of you for your great suggestion/ideas. I'm the steel player and the guy twistin' the knobs on this recording. We are quickly finding the limitations of the gear we have at the front of the chain. The "room" and the mikes are limiting the overall result at ths point. We are in the market for mikes on the drums. Any ideas ? We are currently using 2 57's on the snare, a Shure knock off on the kick, Cads on the toms and Cad condensers on the overheads. The Cads are very inexpensive and I believe the greatest factor in the overall sound. At this point we really need a good kick mike and overheads. Ideas?

Richard Monroe said:
Generally good news- The recorder's good enough. You have given me all the info on the back end of this signal chain. The front end is where the sound comes from- mics and preamps. Don't let them tell you gear isn't a factor- it is. Engineering skill is huge also, but you can't put sound there that isn't there. You can only take sound away in post-production. I bet I can get the pro quality sound you want out of that band, using the recorder you have. But- I will use several thousand dollars worth of mics and several thousand dollars worth of preamps to do it. If you want pro sound, start with about $20,000. Spend a third on mics, a third on preamps, a third modifying your room. Then plug it all into that HD24, and it will work.-Richie

This might sound silly ... but when using a mixing board like the Mackie 24 ch or the Behringer 24 console, do you still need to have a good preamps(s).
i am doing recording with midi modules and i also have a direct box from behringer for the lead guitarist and the 2 vocal mic (no direct box) i plug into my mackie mixing board. then i use the direct outs from the mixing board and connect them into the input of my fostex vf 160ex hard disk recorder. Correct me if there's a better way than what i have it setup now as.

sorry I wasn't dissing the recording

Hey guys, I don't want anyone to think I was trashing the recording job. It does sound good, I was just pointing out some things I thought could make it sound better. Later

Yo, modern- Yes- when you are using a Behringer or Mackie board, you need good preamps even more. Go figure. An Avalon AD2022 costs $2500, or $1200 per channel. Just a preamp, no compressor, no EQ, no A-D conversion. A 10 channel Behringer board is 10 preamps with parametric EQ on every channel. About $5.00 per channel, after you subtract the cost of the EQ and all those faders, etc. Gee, I wonder why what comes out of it doesn't sound that good...Richie

Back