Steven Slate for $20!!!!!!

It took awhile for me to D/L it and it took awhile to get it authorised,but all is good now.
Thanks for the heads up!

Everything's up and running now....:)
I'm getting musical orgasms....these samples are so awesome!:D
Gotta get used to the Kontakt Player functions, though.

There are tutorials on youtube.

ok well that cleared up about 90% of my problem. I'm still not getting any actual sounds from the track, but it says that there is a kickdrum VSTi playing. is there a tutorial that I Could read so i can stop wasting your time?

In a nutshell...

Make sure that both Kontakt and the sample pack are activated in the NI Service Centre.

Load up Kontakt as a VSTi within Reaper. Route a MIDI track to this VSTi. Make sure that the output of Kontakt is also routed appropriately.

Within Kontakt you now need to load up some of the samples. Easiest way to do this is to load up a whole kit, which is saved as a "multi".

You can also load up individual drums and fully customise everything but I'd say try out the preset kits first.

This is a quick test I did when I got the Slate Platinum samples a few months ago, just to prove to myself that they were worth the money :p...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=937087&songID=8461628

Just a random preset kit loaded up (can't remember which one) and some of the included MIDI files dropped in an rough order. Cymbals sound a bit fake by themselves (unless you do some heavy MIDI editing) but once in a mix they sound fine.

Quick tip from me is to rely more on the room samples for crash cymbals, etc, as these sound nice and natural and sit better behind in-your-face kick and snare.

You've been a huge help! I think my biggest problem is that I must have screwed up something on my pc cuz its not showing up in the vsti for reaper. On my mac, which will be my main recording puter anyways, it seems to work just fine and I've been able to put together a pretty basic beat in no time flat.

This is a quick test I did when I got the Slate Platinum samples a few months ago, just to prove to myself that they were worth the money :p...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=937087&songID=8461628

Just a random preset kit loaded up (can't remember which one) and some of the included MIDI files dropped in an rough order. Cymbals sound a bit fake by themselves (unless you do some heavy MIDI editing) but once in a mix they sound fine.

Quick tip from me is to rely more on the room samples for crash cymbals, etc, as these sound nice and natural and sit better behind in-your-face kick and snare.

Sounds awesome Matt!

joeym - thanks for posting this! I bought the $20 deal on Sunday - crazy deal!

Here's something I did with the SSD drums and my SC-8850 module, there's glitches - my first recording with a new computer, new version of Cubase and new mixer, so it could use work:
http://musicmusicmusic.cn/ssdtest.html
I was real happy with the kick. The snare was good too, but the cymbals as usual with drum machines and samples are the weakest link. I would probably record live cymbals. The tweakability is awesome. I ended up rolling off the top on the kick and snare for what I wanted.

I really liked the way the Kontakt player worked. Thanks for turning me on to this! :)

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the Kontakt player, it was a new thing for me too. And there are plenty of free samples for it on the Internet too. Yesterday I installed the Yamaha C7 piano and it's awesome. It's free to download but I don't have the link right now, I'm at work. But if you google around you'll find lots of different stuff. With SSD, the cymbals aren't all that great but the kicks and snares are wonderful. And in the expansion packs, you get the samples in Wav format too, so you can use them with other samplers, like Battery.

I'll have to look for some freebies.

If I set up a pair of my KM84's and mic some of my favorite cymbals (K's from the 1950's) I can get a better cymbal sound on the first try than any sample or drum machine I've ever heard. That doesn't seem right. I've never understood why cymbal samples are so universally poor, all the ones I've heard anyways. It's not rocket science.

Is there a way to put my own sounds into the Kontakt player?

http://sonart.cc/shop/product_info.php?cPath=62&products_id=210

That's the link for the Yamaha C7 download - mine will be ready in 7 minutes! There's nothing like waking up to the smell of freshly dowloaded piano samples! :)

I'm eager to hear it, It's hard to imagine it's not great because it's 24-bit plus they said the sounds are 40 sec long (!). That's probably the kind of memory and detail that cymbals need to be done right. For some reason, maybe because Ray Kurzweil is a piano player not a drummer, there has never been a credible effort to sample cymbals. There has never been the effort like with acoustic pianos. Mostly it seems like people ordering the latest cymbals from Musician's Friend and recording 5 second samples in an afternoon. The best done ones I've heard yet were probably the Alesis D4, which weren't very good but it did sound like they started with choice cymbals.

Sonart piano coming in for a landing... :cool:

So I downloaded the Yamaha C7 freebie, and now there's a file called "Sonart_YC7_free.rar" on my desktop.

It won't open or do anything on my Mac G4 dual 1GB 1.5 GB RAM computer, which is within the system requirements...

:( anybody know?

I hope I don't have to do something like this:

Last edited:
So I downloaded the Yamaha C7 freebie, and now there's a file called "Sonart_YC7_free.rar" on my desktop.

It won't open or do anything on my Mac G4 dual 1GB 1.5 GB RAM computer, which is within the system requirements...

:( anybody know?

.rar is something like a .zip if I'm not mistaken,you'll need to decompress it first.
If it opens up as an .nki you just need to put it into the appropriate folder and Kontakt should recognize it on a start up scan.

I'm not familiar with that particular sample set so I'm just giving you generic instructons.

Thanks acidrock. :)

I found a freebie called iArchiver that was able to unzip the file and I got it running in Kontakt.

The Yamaha piano sounds great - real good and it's amazing that you can get stuff like this for free.

On the page where you download the Yamaha C7 it says the manual is provided as a .pdf file.

Does anybody know where to find that?

On the page where you download the Yamaha C7 it says the manual is provided as a .pdf file.

Does anybody know where to find that?

Haven't bothered with the manual yet, but I really like this piano, it sounds so natural. And by clicking top left when you load it into Kontakt, you open up the parameter window and can play around with the settings.

Haven't bothered with the manual yet, but I really like this piano, it sounds so natural. And by clicking top left when you load it into Kontakt, you open up the parameter window and can play around with the settings.

I wouldn't care about the manual much because I got somewhat familiar with the KontaKt player from tweaking SSD drums.

I had difficulty getting the piano to run in Kontakt - I've only succeeded once.

I open the Kontakt player by clicking the Kontakt icon that was set up when I downloaded the SSD drums. I didn't see any downloaded with the Yamaha C7.

So when the player opens, how do you load in the Yamaha C7? I found how to load in just one sample, and I did get it to work once, but I've been trying and can't seem to get it back.

When it does load, is it supposed to be called "A'Yamaha C7 '10 Reverb" or "***DEMO*** Colou_Piano_Up93_f2"? I get both of those to load but I don't think that they are the right instrument.

Odd too, is that the site the piano came from, Sonart, doesn't seem to have any contact info - no phone, email, anything. If they did I'd ask them what "The manual is provided as a .PDF file." means. There are some other blatant errors on their site so it could be that the company is in trouble, as are most in 2010.

Any hints on how to get the piano going would be appreciated, what I heard that one time was very good.

thanks

The Kontakt player will only play authorised sample sets unless you buy Kontakt seperately after the demo times out.Both my GPO and JABB sample sets work in it.I was under the impression you had it.

I also could play all my samples until the demo timed out.I have Kompakt which I bought as soon as it came out and NI almost immediately dumped it:mad:.

First of all - thanks joeym for turning me on to this deal! It's made a big improvement in my sound. :)

Here's my problem:

I only use 1 snare and 1 kick from Steven Slate. The cymbals aren't very good. I might use the toms later but for now just a kick and a snare are all I'm using. I use it for live performance and 1 kick and 1 snare are actually preferable to me than constantly changing.

When I load SSD, thousands of samples run by, it takes a few minutes, then it stops and says "the following 14 samples can't be found", and I choose "Search Filesystem" and several more thousand samples run by and finally I have my one snare and one kick. It takes several minutes.

I don't get it either because all of my samples are in the same place. :confused:

I've saved my own SSD drumset but it still does this. I would think it would be taxing the shit out of my computer the way I'm doing it now.

Is there anyway I could get it to just load the 2 sounds quickly, instead of several thousand?

Back