Stereo recording

mcfoo

I recorded a jazz band at church Sunday using 2 Peluso CEMC6's in ORTF going into a Fostex MR8 (through a DMP3). The MR8 will output a stereo .wav file, but you need more flash memory than I have (1 GB).

I dragged the two mono .wav files into Audacity. My question is, do I need to pan one track full left and the other full right? It would seem that just joining the 2 files would produce what the mics heard.

It would seem that just joining the 2 files would produce what the mics heard
What do you mean by "joining". Do you mean summing to mono? (each track panned to center) If so, that's not what ORTF config is meant for.

ORTF uses time arrival as well as directional differences between the mic's to give its stereo image. The time arrival differences cause the mic's to be slightly out of phase with each other, especially with wide sources like a band. And that's a good thing when listening in stereo as it gives a great feeling of depth. But it's a bad thing for summing them to mono.

Tim

The 2 files are from the left and right mics. In Audacity the 2 files can be made into a stereo file by clicking a button. The files then become one. I don't think anything else happens to them.

I can pan the files left and right before making the stereo choice, which I have just done. I'm not sure there is much difference from the stereo file made without panning.

Mono files of the L and R mic's of a stereo pair panned hard left and right get exactly the same output as a stereo file.

Tim

Back