Stereo Question

diablo74

Hello,

Can someone explain to me how the stereo in this song was produced.
It's like surround or doubled.
I believe the process is fairly simple; recorded on a reel to reel and mostly analog stuff. I've read a lot about stereo mixing and panning techniques but, i just can't get that dynamic range. Really appreciate the help if there's an idea out there.

(Select the link to listen.)

Sometimes I can readd efx to a mix and make a good guess on which effects were added This could be simulated with a slow triggered stereo flange + and - feedback, rate adjusted on a 1/1 with the beat. On this for comparison a microverb 4 was used and their description is deep sweeping flange for a tense rythm guitar.
It also has a real slow sweeping flange that almost simulates the old method of slowing one channel down thumb on a reel to reel but I think it's digital cuz the timing is real precise and consistent on both channels..
Anyway I'm real curious what some of the others here have to say....
I would add a wee bit of reverb and chorus to the vocal.... :)

Hi Karyoker,

Thanks for replying.
I've nailed it, another author writes:

"The equipment and dynamics have little to do with the stereo effect on this song. There's 3 acoustic guitars. 1 is dead center and low in the mix, another acoustic is panned hard left and the 3rd is hard right. All the guitars are playing almost the exact same thing, they might be the same track. The tambourine is done the same way except there's only 2 and the mic for the one to the left is further away"

I figured it would be simple and i'll also tryout your suggestion to.
Once again thanks to everyone.
http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/

:)

Back