Stereo placement...

Resoman

I'm recording some acoustic string instruments with vocal, and would appreciate some suggestions regarding placement of the various tracks in the stereo image. I'm typically using a single vocal track, a rhythm guitar, a rhythm mandolin chop, upright bass, dobro and mandolin playing leads and fills.

I'm sure these tracks could be placed a lot of different ways, and I'm interested in hearing suggestions from more experienced people.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Resoman

Just use your ears. Do what sounds good. You said it yourself there are lots of ways to place the tracks in the pan. Normally, your more dominant instruments will have a bit more volume in the mix, but panning is up to you. Try to envison your instruments as a group on stage, and where they would be set up to play, and pan accordingly. Hope this helps you, I know it's a bit vague...

Bass and vocal up the middle. Just place everything else in the panning spectrum so things don't get in the way of other things... With "organic" music, a little panning goes a long way.

Back