Stereo Panning in Samplitude

Smoobg

Hi all,
I want to be able to control the panning of my bass & guitar in stereo. After recording my guitar track, do I need to clone or copy that track into another track so that I can control the right/left panning? For some reason, I'm having a hard time doing this. What's the best way to do this in Samplitude?

Thanks

Are you recording the Bass and guitar in stereo?

Typically panning is best implimented placing mono sources in a stereo field unless you are truly recording in stereo to which you would have 2 tracks already to spread or bring together allready.

I use Samplitude 6.04 which version are you using?
For me it is as simple as hitting "M" on the keyboard to bring up the mixer and using the pan knob to direct the placement. You can also do it in the track screen by enabling the pan line and creating a nodal point on the line and drag it up or down which pans the track left or right.

Hope I helped, if not get back!

Tom
tom@tmixstudio.com

Thanks for your reply, Tmix. I'm using version 6.0. I'm using the Aardvark Direct Pro, so I can record with a mono or stereo source. I'm new to the whole process, but I read a post talking about giving each instrument it's own 'space' in the mix. I've messed around in Cakewalk, where I had 2 mono tracks for each instrument. For drums, I would pan one track all the way to the left and one all the way to the right. For bass, I would pan the left and right a little closer to the middle, and so on. Eventually I would have the vocal (or lead guitar in instrumentals) directly in the center of the mix. This seemed to give each instrument it's place, I'm just not sure how to do this in Samplitude. Is this even the right idea? Thanks for your input.

It is an Art!

Giving something proper space and panning in a mix is for sure a talent to be learned, it takes much practice. After 10 or so years I still surprise myself on what I don't know.

Samplitude , in my opinion, is such a wonderful audio program. I came to it by way of Cakewalk myself. Since I only do audio only recording, I vastly prefer Samp.

It is too difficult to completely cover stereo panning techniques and theories in a single post. But as a starter I'll offer the following suggestions.

Figure out what you want to be the focus of your mix, such as the lead vocal or instrument. That will typically be mono and centered. Think of the next complimentary parts that you want more in the foreground of your sound stage. These will typically be mono and placed by panning and EQuing strategically near the center but more alongside. Then think of the icing on the cake parts or soft bed background parts. these will be stereo tracks panned wide or mono panned hard to get them out of the way for the predominate parts.You can also use eq and reverb/delay to push things back in the mix... but that is another story.

This is not to say you can't put stereo effects or "stereroizing" to make things bigger than life or fit the mood better. That is your option. Typically you would choose to record a stereo track on things such as piano or guitar if you want to have a big open sound that crosses the complete sound stage. If you record a lot of things in stereo you won't have as much room to fit it all in the mix without doing some very creative sound carving.

Anyway... my opinion.

Tom

Re: It is an Art!

tmix said:
Think of the next complimentary parts that you want more in the foreground of your sound stage. These will typically be mono and placed by panning and EQuing strategically near the center but more alongside.
Anyway... my opinion.

Tom

Are you talking about panning a single mono track right or left, or panning two mono tracks, one to the left and one to the right?

Thanks

Smoobg

Unless you have recorded something with 2 mics as a true stereo track it would be a singular mono track. Taking 2 identical mono tracks and panning them does nothing for you. There has to be something unique about the 2 tracks to give any value in panning.

Tom

Hi, I use Samp 7.2 these days, but panning is still the same. Easiest way, as tmix said, is to just turn the pan knob on the mixer. Another way is to use the horizontal slide fader in the track view, which will only be visable if you are zoomed in to a certain degree vertically. A third way is the Panarama curve that becomes visable when you click on the pan button for the track, which can be used to draw elaborate pan curves. One more way is to use the pan control in the object editor. Get to know the object editor.....it's the secret weapon of Samplitude.

Cheers, RD

"A third way is the Panarama curve that becomes visable when you click on the pan button for the track"

Thanks Robert! I did not know that trick. That helps me anyway.

I'll be learning stuff for years to come about this program.

Tom

Thanks guys, I will try all of these suggestions, these give me a really good start. I know there is no short cut for experience, so I'd better get started!

Back