Stereo or mono?

guitarlover

I am going to be recording several duets on classical guitar. Typically, I use 2 mics in an X-Y stereo configuration to record solo pieces. Incidentally, I record from a distance of 3 to 3-1/2' if that has a bearing.

I should add that I will be playing both sides of the duet on different classical guitars.

Here's my question: Am I better off recording each track of the duet in mono os stereo? Obviously, I can pan either one and obtain decent results after mixing but will I get a better sound by mixing the two stereo channels?

Has anybody done this or am I asking yet another terribly naive question? :) Thanks for the help.

Regards, Steve

I'd go with mono, and not just out of perversity. With stereo tracks you're going to have a little too much spatial information when it comes time to get a stereo balance between the two guitars. Two mono tracks will end up in stereo (assuming they are panned L+R) and will sound more natural than two stereo tracks.

If you do go stereo reverse the panning of one of the guitars to keep the frequncies balanced. I like to pan the neck mics to the outside.

Remember, just because you record in stereo doesn't mean the tracks have to be hard panned L &R for mixdown/playback. I will frequently record a couple of instruments in stereo, and use center pan position as the "left" side of one stereo track, and the "right" side of the other track. Both instruments end up with a stereo image, but without "stacking" the ambience.
If that isn't clear, I'll attempt a visual:

stereo recordings of instruments (1) & (2)
L(1)...............R(1)L(2)...................R(2)

PAN POSITION
L........................C..........................R

Why don't you do it differenctly on each song? The only problem I see with micing stereo and then only using one track is that micing techniques for mono and stereo are different (at least for me they are). 3 1/2" off the guit pointing opposite directions for a stereo XY might be fine, but if I'm micing mono I'm backing the mic off to about 18" and pointing it toward the neck joint (usually).

To me, it depends on whether you want it to sound good, or sound real. In a good room, a good stereo recording sounds good, but in a duet, panning the two mono tracks soft left and right create a great illusion of the two guitars being played simultaneously and recorded in stereo. Unless you had been in the room, I dought you could tell it from a live stereo recording with 2 guitarists. I'm a minimalist, though, by my nature. I just did a whole album on 12 tracks.-Richie

Hey, thanks for all the input. I'm still assimilating it all! I see that this may take some experimentation but at least I now know where to start. :)

Regards, Steve

Back