Stereo or double with virtual guitars

I'm using Ample guitars and Ujam guitars. They provide stereo knob. For making a stereo guitar sound, which one is better?

1) Just use stereo function. They sound good.
2) Create two tracks and add a single guitar for each track. And then use chorus or delay for streo sound.

I've got some of their stuff - in fact, they sound quite thin in mono. Just remember it's not really stereo - just a wide sound. If you use two mics on a real guitar you get a deep boomy sound from the one on the sound hole, and a brighter fretty sound from the one focussed on the neck - the typical artificial guitar is just a bigger sound - often reverb and some gentle time delays to create it. Adjust knob till happy. job done.

Just remember that it won't be a "double" if using the same Virtual Guitar on 2 panned tracks, just like it wouldn't be a double by using the same Guitar DI on 2 panned tracks. You might be able to get a "double" by using Ample Guitar on 1 track and Ujam Guitar on another track (assuming that Ample guitars and Ujam guitars are different Virtual Guitars).

I'd only use the stereo knob for lead guitars panned center

Track twice for rhythm guitars if possible. That stereo knob isn't going to give you anywhere near as good sound as tracking twice (for rhythms that is).
For leads when you collapse to mono or listen on a mono device it won't matter because you have the sound down the middle anyway, you just lose some ear candy stuff

Better is whatever works for you. If using the stereo knob does the job, you're good to go.

If you want the sound of a dou led guitar part, you will need two performances. That means you need to play it twice and not quantize the midi. It will be the minor timing and dynamic variations that give the effect. You would also be better off using two different but similar guitar patches with the two performances.

Your options are...

1) Record one guitar, mono, then use a spatial plugin to create a fake stereo effect.
2) Double track guitars and pan a guitar into each ear left/right. This can create some phasing issues, depends on things.
3) Record one guitar mono, then use a chorus and/or reverb plugin to create a fake stereo effect. This might be what your current plugin/VST is doing for you.

With real guitars or sim it's nice to differentiate them using eq . Even different parts can benefit from one that is eq'd with more upper mid/high end and the other side more low mid. Any kind of difference helps to create interest

I've got some of their stuff - in fact, they sound quite thin in mono. Just remember it's not really stereo - just a wide sound. If you use two mics on a real guitar you get a deep boomy sound from the one on the sound hole, and a brighter fretty sound from the one focussed on the neck - the typical artificial guitar is just a bigger sound - often reverb and some gentle time delays to create it. Adjust knob till happy. job done.
That's what I felt as well. Demo sounds thick, but it's not in real. It's really thin and I had to copy it for thicker sound. Thx!

Just remember that it won't be a "double" if using the same Virtual Guitar on 2 panned tracks, just like it wouldn't be a double by using the same Guitar DI on 2 panned tracks. You might be able to get a "double" by using Ample Guitar on 1 track and Ujam Guitar on another track (assuming that Ample guitars and Ujam guitars are different Virtual Guitars).
Thx for advice. But Ample and Ujam are pretty different.

I'd only use the stereo knob for lead guitars panned center

Track twice for rhythm guitars if possible. That stereo knob isn't going to give you anywhere near as good sound as tracking twice (for rhythms that is).
For leads when you collapse to mono or listen on a mono device it won't matter because you have the sound down the middle anyway, you just lose some ear candy stuff
Ye, I usually use 4 tracks for rhythm guitar. Otherwise, it would be thin. Thx!

Better is whatever works for you. If using the stereo knob does the job, you're good to go.

If you want the sound of a dou led guitar part, you will need two performances. That means you need to play it twice and not quantize the midi. It will be the minor timing and dynamic variations that give the effect. You would also be better off using two different but similar guitar patches with the two performances.
Yep, that's what I've done. Thx!

Ample guitars have better sound and sound quality. The Ujam guitars are cheaper than Ample guitars. They are using the same tonewood.

Back