stereo>mono>stereo?

Alejo

I would like to pass a stereo track through a mono valve compressor rack, to enhance the sound. I am searching for a simple method because I have to do this procedure quite often.
Of course, I would like to get the stereo back to the mixdown.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Alejo.

Specs: Cubase SX, Adiophile 24/96, mixer Phonic, TLAudio Fat2 valve compressor.

Impossible....

You cannot send a stereo signal thru a mono processor and still retain the stereo signal.

Once it's mono, it STAYS mono......

Sure, but imagine:

I duplicate the track.
I pass the first track through the mixer with the pan totally to the left into the compressor unit.
Same procedure for the right one.

Then I will get two new tracks, each one would be mono, of course, but the overall sound would be as the original stereo once I re-pan again in Cubase. (I cannot test it now because i need a stupid cable that i must buy)

Could it work? Is there any simpler way to do it?

Thanks for your answer, Blue Bear.

Yes, you can do it that way and it will come out stereo, but the recording will sound shitty, because the compressor is going to come on at different places in each track. The compression must be linked to both tracks so that it compresses the same way on both tracks at the exact same time.

Get an RNC for $179 and do it the right way.

The only way to overcome the issue that Harvey brings up would be to create a mono mix of the stereo tracks and use that in the side chain input while you process each of the L/R tracks seperately. That way they will both have the exact same compression applied.

I second the RNC recomendation.

Thanks both for the recommendation, but the idea was to take advantage to the "old" warm, etc... sound the valve is intended to give. RNC would not be the solution.

I didn't pay attention on the nasty effect Harvey tells about. It was a really interesting point.

By the other hand, I will follow Tex's instructions asap. I will let you know as soon as I get something reasonable.

Cheers,

Alejo.

Back