Stereo/Mono confusion

Antz_Marchin

Ok here's my dilemma. When I record through my POS boom mic in my mic input I use my stereo input in Sonar and then I get a stereo sound.

Now...when I record through my B in the LIne in Jack of my SB live, I get a mono recording in the Stereo SB Live input and a Stereo recording through the Left input as my option. Also I can't seem to get a Stereo recording no matter what I do when I record in Wavelab through my line-in jack but I get stereo through my boom mic in teh mic jack again. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? I want to get a stareo output in Wavelab and in Sonar using my stareo option in the track ....both using my line in jack. Tahnks so much and sorry if I may have confused anyone. -BJ

DISCLAIMER - I understand that none are true STEREO sound with mic and input but I'm talking about an output differing from speaker (mono) or both speakers (stereo)

Well, BJ...
You don't have to actualy record stereo to hear the result in both L and R speaker monitor. It's good to record mono signal (as Mic, unprocessed guitar, bass, etc) as mono audio track. Then you will see only *one* line of audio (indicating mono track) instead of *two* in the audio clip. If you set the track's audio output to stereo (or both L/R), then you'll hear it from both L and R speaker monitor. Believe me, it's better than having stereo track of mic input audio (unless you have particular reason to do so :) )

SBLive!'s mic preamps doesn't do that much. I never plug anything into it from the first time it's in my PC. Just ignore it. Mute and pretend it's not even there. Instead, use external preamps (or the one comes with your mixer) is alot recomended. Feed the signal from mixer's output to SBLive! Line in... yes, specialy the left output. Set up an audio track to recieve Mono input (or usualy Left input), and set the audio out to stereo. record it... After you finish everything (record, process, mix...etc), you may export it to stereo (in export dialog box). There you can have stereo track of your audio...

;)
Jaymz

Awesome James....thanks alot. Would you happen to know the setting off hand for me to get the same result of both speaker monitors giving me output in Wavelab?? I can't seem to figure it out while plugged into my line-in jack. Thanks very much for the help.

Back