Stellar cm-5 & cm-6

Upgrade

I have been using these Stellar CM-5 and CM-6 mics for a few weeks and they are really something special. Fantastic LDC mics for vocals. Peter Bloch has just raised the bar for affordable mics. The CM-5 is a C12 style mic but sounds a bit darker and compressed in a really nice vintage way.The CM-6 has an EF86 tube and is a U67 flavored mic that is just rich and gorgeous on vocals. Has anyone tried these mics? I am really blown away. They are in a different league than other mics from China I have used. My take is Pelusso quality sound at a fraction of the price.:cool:

They're just re-badged Chinese mics from Ningbo or Alctron. Nothing new really. Fairly OK circuit but with typical sub-par components and still using K67 style capsules with bad tensioning and with a standard tube gain stage. Doesn't work well with that type of capsule. Transformers have crappy laminates. The "C12" style you talk about sounds darker than a C12 because they have very little in common. That mic is also known as the Apex 460, Nady TCM1150, Carvin blah blah blah..

Your post is suspiciously like spam.

Of course its spam...its the first post...lol....they have to come up with new IP addresses everytime they ban one so a new name is made up too.

I have been using these Stellar CM-5 and CM-6 mics for a few weeks and they are really something special. Fantastic LDC mics for vocals... The CM-5 is a C12 style mic but sounds a bit darker and compressed in a really nice vintage way.The CM-6 has an EF86 tube and is a U67 flavored mic that is just rich and gorgeous on vocals. Has anyone tried these mics? I am really blown away. They are in a different league than other mics from China I have used. My take is Pelusso quality sound at a fraction of the price.:cool:

Oh geez. Perhaps I should say OMG. Stellar mics are straight-out-of-the catalog re-branded Chinese mics. Every one of them. I challenge you to substantiate how this importer / re-brander's mics are any different from bone-stock catalog mics from Alctron, Superlux or ShuaYin.

No not spam just opinion. Sorry to hear your response MJ as I have had you mod a mic for me and have nothing but good things to say. I know Stellar sells imprint Chinese mics like many others but he also does mods. I ordered the Stellar mics from Ebay and Peter contacted me to see if I was interested in mods. I have tried 3 versions of the mics and all were different and better than the stock version. He allowed me to return the mics I didn't want. Peter does do mods on some Stellar mics and they are quite good and quite a value. My CM-6 even came with an NOS Mullard tube. I have had mics modded by
Peluso, M Jolly, David Royer and Peter Bloch and they all do great work IMO.

It's not you who should be apologizing, Upgrade.
You have done nothing wrong.
I don't know what makes it okay for some nationalities to knock everything Chinese but clearly, the moderators have no problem with it.

No not spam just opinion. Sorry to hear your response MJ as I have had you mod a mic for me and have nothing but good things to say. I know Stellar sells imprint Chinese mics like many others but he also does mods. I ordered the Stellar mics from Ebay and Peter contacted me to see if I was interested in mods. I have tried 3 versions of the mics and all were different and better than the stock version. He allowed me to return the mics I didn't want. Peter does do mods on some Stellar mics and they are quite good and quite a value. My CM-6 even came with an NOS Mullard tube. I have had mics modded by
Peluso, M Jolly, David Royer and Peter Bloch and they all do great work IMO.

If you buy the modded versions and ONLY if. I bought one from him and it was completely stock. I did all the mods myself, so I know for a fact everything was stock and it said "Stellar" right on the front. They didn't start selling modded versions until they ran out of stock. You'll notice the number of Stellar mics for sale on eBay is almost zero.

It's not you who should be apologizing, Upgrade.
You have done nothing wrong.
I don't know what makes it okay for some nationalities to knock everything Chinese but clearly, the moderators have no problem with it.

That statement has no validity and is nothing more than disparaging BS. The reason for knocking Chinese products is that for the most part they are inferior as a point of fact. The components are reverse engineered and don't follow close tolerances enough to be considered quality. They use a flat circuit with peaky capsules and non-audio quality caps in the signal path and substandard tubes, transformers and FET's. They're assembled by people who are told how to hold a screw driver or a soldering iron and have no real technical experience, they're just doing repetitious jobs, and underpaid for them at that! All of that makes it very audible and its been a point of contention for a long time.

Where have you been? Riding a pretty high horse? Get off it and back down to reality!

The reason for knocking Chinese products is that for the most part they are inferior as a point of fact.
No:
That's bigotry. Pure and simple.
When you find yourself excluding a whole nation because you happen to think that they are incapable of producing anything worthwhile, you have allowed your own prejudice to cloud your judgement. The fact is that the Chinese have led the world in manufacturing since the Fifties and they have done so by being both cost effective and very, very good at what they do.
Now if I said "Don't buy American stuff. It's all junk"... acceptable/unacceptable?

No:
The fact is that the Chinese have led the world in manufacturing since the Fifties and they have done so by being both cost effective and very, very good at what they do.

I have Chinese made stuff...not *all* bad...but c'mon Jim, most of their stuff IS pretty shabby...not to mention, they have NO problem with ignoring health concerns (look at some of their exported food products that were pulled for dangerous toxic levels, not to mention the Cadmium laced children's products that were recently in the news). :eek:

It's NOT the nation that anyone is complaining about... :) ...I dig Chinese people and culture...it's their manufacturing MO that tends to be poor QC assembly-line production, often of poorly copied existing products, in an effort to under-cut the price of existing (well-made) products.

I guess you never been to Canal St. in NYC! :D

Maybe someday they will get past the quantity-instead-of-quality approach...but a lot of stuff that has "Made In China" on it ends up being either pure garbage or cheap knock-offs that break very quickly....
...with only occasional exceptions.

I still buy Chinese Made...mostly 'cuz it's hard to find anything that isn't… :( ...but I'm rarely *impressed* with Chinese Made products. I have a bunch of RI Hagstrom guitars that are Chinese made. Overall...the wood and finish is great, but the setups are bad and the hardware is so-so...and this is stuff that is just made there but is actually R&D'd elsewhere.
But much of the stuff that is completely Chinese made for exports by startups...is not that great.
I think because their goal is minimum cost for maximum profit...and their stuff therefore rarely fetches high prices when exported. People just know NOT to pay too much or to just avoid it altogether.

Funny...if they actually focused on quality for everything they made...it would bring up the price, and they COULD wipe out competition on a global scale.

No:
When you find yourself excluding a whole nation because you happen to think that they are incapable of producing anything worthwhile, you have allowed your own prejudice to cloud your judgement. The fact is that the Chinese have led the world in manufacturing since the Fifties and they have done so by being both cost effective and very, very good at what they do.
Now if I said "Don't buy American stuff. It's all junk"... acceptable/unacceptable?

Since the '50s? I think you are confusing the Chinese and the Japanese, and even the Japanese didn't really get going until the '60s, after absorbing the lessons of Deming et al.

The Chinese in the '50s and '60s were busy with agricultural "innovations" like the Great Leap Forward. Google that one sometime :rolleyes:

Chinese economic reform started in the '80s, and it's true that now Chinese factories are capable of very high quality production. But there seems to be a huge disconnect between the factories that build marvels like the iPhone and the sort of stuff that comes stock from a generic Chinese microphone manufacturer.

For example, this site that has been spamming me, trying to get me to distribute them:

http://www.nbmic.com/products.asp?id=78

Do you see how all of their products are kinda generic looking, and not well differentiated? I mean, they have five models in a U87-ish case, and about a dozen others in total. It's not exactly state-of-the-art product segmentation. It's indicative that they don't understand their market, and they aren't driving innovation in customer preference; they are hardly even reacting to customer preference. It's the shotgun approach to marketing, and that does not bode well for quality since the only possible competitive advantage is price.

Now, if this same factory was contracted by a knowledgeable person in the target market, and had strict specifications for the product desired, I have little doubt that they could produce a quality product. And there are companies who are managing their business in that manner.

The other method is to simply take what they sell and fix ("mod") it. That's easier and cheaper in smaller quantities, because probably that factory won't pay much attention to an order smaller than 1,000 units.

But if you simply take the stock product with no QC and resell it (<cough>group buy!</cough>), well then you better be competing on price.

This is not a cultural criticism of the Chinese; it's a basic difference that occurs between any two cultures. Europeans have different microphone preferences than Americans, generally speaking. What, you say? Every loves Neumanns, right? Sure, but nobody here talks much about Schoeps or DPA, do they? Except the classical and location recording set, who have those sophisticated Euro-style preferences and thus love all things small and wonderful ;) Whereas high-end studio recording engineers in Europe do consider those brands frequently.

And hardly anybody in America wants to drive a modern turbodiesel car, right? So why do Europeans love them? If you don't understand the culture, you can't market successfully.

Same thing here; the Chinese simply aren't familiar with American home recording culture, so their marketing isn't very effective, which means that their product design is suboptimal. That could change anytime; next year, next month, whenever. But for now, it's true.

No:

No, you have an agenda. Pure and simple. You can't think rationally and so to compensate you retaliate without an ounce of reason. We're talking about Chinese microphones, not the Chinese people. The record for Chinese mics speaks for itself. If you cannot see that you are biased beyond any hope of seeing reality.

And btw, to label someone as a bigot, simply because there opinion or view differs from yours is, by the very definition of the word *bigotry*.

Jim, it gets really annoying to have nitwits like you around with knee jerk reactions. "My guitar was made in Mexico with inferior parts and craftsmanship"..."Well, then its pretty obvious you hate Mexicans!!"

And $100 says you can't even see the clear flaws in the above statements..and probably draw the same conclusion.:rolleyes:

That was in reference to spamming, numbnuts, with a pretty clear conclusion that the OP probably isn't Chinese, or if he is he's trying to promote wares. Once again, thank for reading into it something that wasn't there.;)

How's that 'no leg to stand on' thing working for ya?

I happen to have on my desk at this very instant a mic that is of Chinese origin (I bought it from a distributor friend in Hong Kong) which I consider to be a very good and usable microphone. It retails for about $350 and I got it for $150 to test with the idea I would mod it to make something better out of it. I decided to leave it as-is. I can't think of what I'd be able to do with it to make it sound better. Its a very good sounding microphone, except for maybe the transformer. The quality, workmanship and sound are quite good.

It is without a doubt the exception, not the rule.

You're completely shot down in every possible way.

Back